Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Big C

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated November 17, 2014]

Post by Big C »

Vaecrius wrote:
Big C wrote:Bug: Healer imps healed by archangels are friendly to you, enemies healed by healer imps healed by archangels are not.
Haven't seen this myself. Which enemy was this? (might be a bug in the raised marines)
As far as I could tell, it was either the jackboots, the stormtroopers, some variety of imp, marines raised from level decor, or some combo of the above. Furthermore, I *THINK* my 'bug' might have actually just been shards from exploded nukage barrels functioning precisely as intended and me not being able to tell archangel-raised frenemies from shard-raised enemies in the middle of a crowded firefight (or rather in the middle of me freeing an archangel from its sphere in E3M4 and deciding to take it for a walk through a level full of -killmonster'd enemies for an experiment).

This requires further experimentation. I will get back to you on it.

EDIT: Okay, yeah, an archangel freshly freed from an invuln sphere revived two imps---one of them a warrior, another probably a mage or another warrior---and they both started attacking me. Weird. I can confirm it wasn't shards because I had IDDT enabled and the automap did not show any Hidden Fun Stuff (TM) flying around on the breeze.

EDIT: Screwing around on MAP31. Summoned ArchAngel. It killed the Schutstaffels, and while most times the archangel would revive the Schutzstaffel as friendlys, sometimes it would revive one and the Schutstaffel and the archangel would immediately begin fighting.

REALLY weird.
Jackboots were willing enforcers of the new regime according to the manual, but the manual also says they're undead. Logistically simpler, I suppose, to have an army that has no metabolism and only needs to eat out of a desire to consume and destroy.
Maybe they were humans who died under severe circumstances and were given another chance to live as long as it was to fight in the Tyrant's service! So they technically fit both criteria!
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

Medicris wrote:
Hoodlook wrote:
Hoodlook in 'Realistic Weapon Sprites?' wrote:...one thing I'm also looking for are monster sprite replacements to get rid of the hellish look and bring a more maybe...going against insurgent/terrorist or robot plot. It would be easy to replace the zombies with player skin sprites found online but it would be much more tricky and confusing to do the hellspawn.
Medicris wrote:We turning this shit into a Counterstrike TC?
Yep..pretty much the idea I was going for. And it seems everyone fucking hates the idea .-. why not???
As Mike said, "I dunno, look at the game output in the past 7 years".

Pretty much just a personal note here: there's already a metric shitzillion games with evil foreign communazi brown turrists vs. 'murica n' FREEDOM. HD offers something pretty new and unique in the tac shooter genre: Doom's bestiary. Something different than "guy with gun, guy with slightly different gun, literally just same boring people with guns". Removing Doom's bestiary would remove one of its most interesting points. Whether it's fun and plays well in the end or not is another matter. Addons? Go for it, could be fun as a mod. As long as no one's trying to change HD from "Doom: Realism Kicks You In The Dick Edition".

Pretty sure Doomero or someone made a high-quality CS weapons mod anyway. If that's up your alley, you can try making/finding an insurgent-themed monsters pack to pair with that.
yep, csb200

more than 20 cs weapons of counter strike source....
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Unofficial headcanon: the jackboots were offered special cybernetic augmentations that would cause them to be impossible to kill by gunfire and would free them from all sorts of other evils and failings of their natural bodies (hunger, sickness, etc.). In fact it was just a little automated neurotoxin injector with lots of fancy wire bits and mind-altering drugs, but the ultimate result did technically accomplish the stated goals.

(I suppose the presence of actual augmentations, as well as a sufficiently willing heart on part of the subject, could also explain why you only get the shit-tier zeds and not jackboots when marines are raised on the field.)
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

I'm willing to try to get anyone set up to co-op with Hideous Destructor (This is sort of my job for other games and software among my friends,) but I'm not sure how any of us would set up any contact. I check the forums more than once a day, but it'd be much more convenient for me to have something quicker. I guess Steam could work. Would anyone here mind joining a steam group to arrange contact, or would you rather handle it through the forum?

[edit]Okay, the steam group is made (If anyone would rather contact me directly, please do so on the forums). Vaecrius, I hope you don't mind my usage of any of your lines or assets.

Also, if there's any problem with me linking it, I will remove the link immediately.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

If I object to anything I'll post it to the group. :V
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

A Steam group sounds like the perfect idea for this. I'll join.

I'll test around with arch angels and see if I'm having the issue too (since I was mysteriously unaffected by the lib casings bug.)

EDIT: Nope, everything is behaving normally on this end. Though I will note that arch angels ignore the dead SS, perhaps they are too evil to waste devil magic on :)
Jack Mackerel

Post by Jack Mackerel »

Vaecrius wrote:Unofficial headcanon: the jackboots were offered special cybernetic augmentations that would cause them to be impossible to kill by gunfire and would free them from all sorts of other evils and failings of their natural bodies (hunger, sickness, etc.). In fact it was just a little automated neurotoxin injector with lots of fancy wire bits and mind-altering drugs, but the ultimate result did technically accomplish the stated goals.

(I suppose the presence of actual augmentations, as well as a sufficiently willing heart on part of the subject, could also explain why you only get the shit-tier zeds and not jackboots when marines are raised on the field.)
Sounds like how Shub-Niggurath converted various Marines into grunts in Quake 1.

...Now I want Hideous Destructor for Quake.
Hoodlook

Post by Hoodlook »

Somagu wrote:I'm willing to try to get anyone set up to co-op with Hideous Destructor (This is sort of my job for other games and software among my friends,) but I'm not sure how any of us would set up any contact. I check the forums more than once a day, but it'd be much more convenient for me to have something quicker. I guess Steam could work. Would anyone here mind joining a steam group to arrange contact, or would you rather handle it through the forum?

[edit]Okay, the steam group is made (If anyone would rather contact me directly, please do so on the forums). Vaecrius, I hope you don't mind my usage of any of your lines or assets.

Also, if there's any problem with me linking it, I will remove the link immediately.
Fuck yeah! Let's COOP! Joined.

Anybody who has at least 1.5 mbps or higher internet speed get on(or get steam), join the steam group and let's play ASAP.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I've found the cause of the hostiles - there's a little feature where randomly a monster being raised from gibs would lie as an unraisable corpse for a while, then raise itself. Problem with the implementation was that a subsequent Thing_Raise could not take a prior friendly raising into account so the result was always hostile. I will remove this feature in the next update, as it also interfered with corpse gibbing.

IIRC the Quake grunts just had little things that connected their pleasure centres with the act of killing... and HD actually is based in part on an old, never-quite-releasable* QuakeC mod I had back in 2002-ish that I sadly no longer have any copy of. Had the GL do what it does here, a proper assault rifle and shotgun, reduced player movement with smart straferun adjustment, and shamblers with an attack not unlike what HD's arachnotrons do now.

*I think I might have done the QuakeC equivalent of putting all my changes into a Doom IWAD or something - it really was never intended for anyone's use but my own, for what that's worth.

EDIT: Also, for what it's worth my internet download speed is capped at 1.17 Mbps.
Jack Mackerel

Post by Jack Mackerel »

I am really liking the co-op.

IIRC, the Quake 1 grunts did have their pleasure centers wired to killing, but it was via a computer chip or implant or something like that.

...also, I'd suggest renaming Classic Rifleman to Contractor, since I feel like the Lib is the better infantry rifle and would cost more. :V
Big C

Post by Big C »

Jack Mackerel wrote:I am really liking the co-op.

IIRC, the Quake 1 grunts did have their pleasure centers wired to killing, but it was via a computer chip or implant or something like that.

...also, I'd suggest renaming Classic Rifleman to Contractor, since I feel like the Lib is the better infantry rifle and would cost more. :V
I always thought the Classic Rifleman was supposed to be some 'lifer' Marine officer who had been around so long that he was respected enough to choose his own gear. As for the Contractor, I figured he had more starting gear because he got dirt-cheap, reliable weapons and invested the savings in better armor and more medicine.

EDIT: Hey Vaecrius, do you still have a link to that post where you explained the game-design philosophy behind the Brontornis?
Medicris

Post by Medicris »

Vaecrius wrote:EDIT: Also, for what it's worth my internet download speed is capped at 1.17 Mbps.
That's wayyyyyyyy deep in the clear zone. Really, all that matters with Zdoom netplay in my experience is:

1. Routing. This means how well and timely your ISP handles traffic wherever you're sending/recieving from.
2. Stability. Playing with wireless internet is possible but not really the smoothest, some things get dropped and the game stops momentarily until it gets them.
3. Your own framerate. If someone lags, everyone lags.
4. Your own upload speed. Shouldn't need much, but if it's really slow or choked up by other things, it probably won't play nice.

That's pretty much it. The traffic generated is pretty low, afaik the gist of it is just button presses, randomization results (random pellet/damage spread, etc) and sync checks.
HexaDoken

Post by HexaDoken »

My friend plays with 30 kbps.

Generally ZDoom shits on your download/upload speed - what is much more important is reaction time. The faster your computer can react to signals, the better the game is. This means that you must have decent routing, stability, framerate... pretty much mirroring Medicris post here, with exception that upload speed is exactly as important as download one is.

The main problem is that lag tends to be cumulative - if one guy lags, everyone lags. If there are like 8 players of which all lag a little bit, that lag tends to accumulate and cluttering everyone up hard. Otherwise, people should be ok.
Matt

Post by Matt »

@BigC: Here it is.

Reaction time actually seems to be my second weakest point, next to upload speed, though I have not had any problems with server-based games like TF2, Killing Floor or Red Eclipse. I'm just glad HD is working without constant desync problems!
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Well, after playing with the marksman, after 10 levels i just got fed up with the tiny ass scope. its great for popping around corners and one shotting something, but the scope is to small. coupled with how jittery the mouse movement is, its just is impossible to really snipe well with that weapon. if it had a bigger scope i could deal with it but its just not working, sorry. my attemps to dig into the ACS and decorate code have been futile; perhaps im just not smart enough to understand the sophisticated code, but untill the scope is made larger its just not playable. other than that, I love everything about the rifle. the damage is right, the accuracy is right, the way it works is right. the scope is wrong, and thats that.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”