Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Silentdarkness12

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated June 20, 2016]

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

mumblemumble wrote:
Silentdarkness12 wrote:SO NOW HE PUTS THE SECOND PISTOL BACK IN

ffffff

Damnit. Welp, I gotta change DarkHud again.

EDIT: Also, HD.pk7 is back to being HD.7Z.
Try to make the hud working with smaller resolutions if possible...I'd love to use it, BUT, the resolution breaks it.
I can't.

Sorry. I literally do not have a single clue how, and it must be some dark illuminati secret, because nobody wants to actually TELL me how. I tried looking into the Ultimate Doom Visor HUD for some clue, but all I found was a bunch of stuff regarding aspect ratios.

Optionally, if someone who knows how would like to port this to 1024x768 or 600x800, etc etc, go right ahead. PLEASE DO.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

By the way, just want to say I have not once seen a zombieman throw a grenade yet.... it seems like such an improbable thing. I would maybe give a very slim chance to try throwing one if the player gets in cover.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

It's definitely there - just a 1/10 chance whenever the SMG trooper tries to attack while they're out of ammo.

I've addressed almost everything brought up except for the pistol - I don't even know how it worked "right" before, and the crazy part is I can't imagine how it ever did.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

I think it might have to do with the "busy" state tweakings....

"Bugfix: Weapon "nope" state still fell to ready if you were holding fire or altfire."

I'd bet my left pinky this is what did it, you DISABLED it from getting to the ready state, which means holding, even slightly, keeps it from hitting ready state on semi auto =) I don't know your code too well, but I'm pretty damn sure this is it, and if you give exceptions to semi, this would be fixed

But, heres the thing with zombies. 30 rounds in an SMG, which, in HD's balance, is quite a bit. Keep in mind, a 5 round burst is almost always lethal, so you have to have them fire all that ammo, and THEN you have a 1 in 10 chance. I honestly almost never see a zombie reload ANYWAY, because in the time it takes to use up a while clip, one of us have died in the process halfway in. So its kinda pointless. not saying they should rain grenades everywhere, but it should be a slim chance to be done when doing suppressing fire, as this is actually an occurrence that HAPPENS more than once every week.

also, can we get "homely" damage scaling as a console variable? It would be great to play hd with ugly spawns, but homely damage...might SUBSTANTIALLY expand the maps possible in HD, doing this, which would be really, really nice. I know bleeding is something, but a shotgun shell is nearly always fatal still.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

That turns out to be the case. Making a new hold state seems to address the issue, or at least greatly narrow the threshold in which the jam might occur.

I don't think there's a way to change damage settings on the fly, is there? (At least not without something really hacky to mess with the player's damage resistance, etc.)

Re: likelihood of grenade, reminds me of back in my old Counterstrike days when I never bothered to buy anything other than an MP5 and never had to reload. (I was terrible at CS.) I'll probably move the grenade state check over to missile rather than reload, and decrease the chance of it happening.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Even if damage cannot be changed on the fly, having it on level change / game start would still be nice. Plutonia on ugly MIGHT mean I can beat go 2 it in hideous destructor, if I also have the extra damage resistance... I tried before, on normal ugly, but the archviles got me.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Glad this still exists. Long time no see friends.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Considering i don't remember you, you will have plenty of changes to get used to.

Protip, press space / move to dodge in a given direction. Also, hitting head on does more damage than glancing. 2 4.26 rounds can kill if dead on, while almost 10 can be survived if they graze.

I'd really like to hear how you think of it now. So much has changed, imo for the better.
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated June 27, 2016]

Post by Matt »

NEW UPDATE!

Changes:
  • Bugfix: Dropped pistols never had ammo in the mag.
  • Bugfix: BFG firing on death did not take away ammo.
  • Bugfix: Boss raise/lower should be loop not wait.
  • Bugfix: More unintended weirdness from DERP A_CheckLOF, this time it fails to check if the target is behind a wall. Now it uses A_JumpIfTargetInLOS like the HERP.
  • Bugfix: Reports that the gun-bracing sound (which shares sounds with multiple things) was playing every time the player died. Just in case, I've added a check to see if the player had above-zero health.
  • Bugfix: VileCount being automatically taken on every single death was logically unsound, and caused mancubi and nobles to be unraisable.
  • Bugfix: Greatly mitigated the rapid-fire pistol jamming.
  • Bugfix: Psalm 77:10 missing leading zero.
  • Cooking ZM66 is now dropped on death. In co-op that means you will have to go back there and pick it up.
  • BFG is now given a similar treatment.
  • ZM66 cookoff/BFG firing/unspooned frag checks are done immediately on death, rather than a few frames in. This is necessary to prevent hitting Use too soon and cancelling the ZM66 check.
  • Thunder Buster tweaked again. No more extra alt shot. Primary clamped at max 3 shots at a time, but is much more efficient.
  • Dropped Vulcanettes now have full chambers.
  • SMG zombies now toss grenades as an alternative to shooting as well as to cover themselves while they reload.
  • The Vulcanette now implicitly has a gas-operated alternator that replenishes a bit of cell energy during sustained fire.
  • Deleted the old actionitems that were used to trigger alt reload, fire mode and unload.
  • Vulcanette droop now slows down the lower you go.
  • Added hd_strip command to remove your current armour. Why? Because armour is now usable and not immediately overwritten on pickup! You can carry up to one armour vest in addition to what you are wearing. This additional vest does not provide any additional protection, however.
  • Black and blue armour protection improved, but black armour has a greater speed penalty.
  • Hand grenade limit raised to 16.
  • hd_drop is now a combination of "weapdrop" and "use ring".
  • Weapdrop while using fists also drops carried armour.
In other news, Mountain Base might be worth a look.

Question: Does anyone actually use the medical station and find it helpful? I've half a mind to get rid of it entirely.
(I recall asking a similar question in the past, but at that point I was rounding up to half and now I'm rounding down to half, and I believe this question is more specific)
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Medical station is...very heavy, and while i've used it, its ridiculously bulky, expensive, and limited to 1 spot. I Think perhaps maybe a nerfed version, acting like a wrist watch vitals moniter would be much much better, automatically injecting medicine at certain heath thresh-holds at a very slightly higher effectiveness, and being able to be used all the time, but consuming meds much faster, and having a battery life. This way one can have a medical backup, without a huge storage issue, OR having to waste a huge amount of meds. Think medical armor from fallout 3 I guess, but actually useful. That I would actually pick up, if something was like, 30 blocks, took a battery to keep online, and didn't restrict my mobility to absolutely nothing. On the whole I generally avoid it unless I will absolutely need it, as the weight is huge, and a berserk pack gives a better result in the end. A medical watch would also be interesting if it had a possibility to take a massive amount of meds to attempt reversal of aggravated damage, but with varying results. TL;DR : I only use the medical station if it HAPPENS to be right next to a nasty, nasty ambush point, otherwise I literally do not touch it.

No idea why you changed back the alt fire TB, it made it feel more like a broken beam than a big plasma bullet, and it made it more efficient. i loved that, but ok. Even if the seperate bursts per click were slightly weaker, it feels more like a scattered beam "deathray" kinda thing

The armor thing is great, but... first, stripping damaged armor to keep would be really, really nice.a 2 step check for putting on armor to also strip current / use the used armor would be nice. Think of roguelike arsenal weapon modding. Hiting use once says "Remove current armor, and put on new one? Press enter to confirm" and then stays on screen for 3 seconds before fading

I gotta say, with carrying spare armor, this makes me VERY happy, especially since armor weight is no longer a dice roll of mobility. I can actually see going armorless for a few situations just to move fast! awesome update!

May I ask, for armor was there a script command to hold the information or armor left? or did you just tirelessly make hundreds of states for it? if its the former, I hope yholl embraces this for RLA.

Considering the use of TEXTURES to make newer textures without necessarily adding sprites, could the backpack be added to always have the item inside it, instead of occasionally never having a backpack? I hate finding a backpack spawn with an ultra lite, or libby on it rather than a backpack, considering the backpack in HD is MUCH more important than in doom (buffs speed, allows carrying more, allows stocking up specific ammo). Or, just hold both items inside the backpack like everything else

Alt fires of the TB still make the muzzle flash even on very low battery not always firing from the barrel.

TB blasts now dont make my computer have a stroke. thanks. Though reducing the upper end smoke / fragment count would help performance too.

shotguns could use a larger drop off on damage, or at least a lower damage factor on armored targets. A shotgun from maybe 80 yards is still enough to kill at full armor, considering the bleeding as well, and I think this, at that range, while wearing kevlar, and the ball bearings have slowed down, would at most wind you unless it missed your armor.

grenadier needs an extra 4 nades to reflect the new nade limit.

Just an fyi, the pistol new york reload is slower than the old one used to be by a few tics. Not sure if intended

HD armor pickup should check if player has any armor, and autoequip if none is on.

interesting observation, megaspheres can be abused for a free pair of armor IF you remove your current armor before grabbing it. I dont find this bad or unbalanced, but its worth bringing up. Also applies to armor bonuses, giving you free pair of black armor to pick up if you just remove the current armor, then remove black armor.

The semi lock up with pistols is....slightly better, but couldn't you just fix the state of locking up to begin with? slightly confused why it even exists, mind explaining?

I think the brightness of the key card and skull sprite should be raised, perhaps to about 100, or 150, just enough that it isnt totally lost in the dark. Perhaps with the excuse both are polished and reflected like a high visibility vest?

chainsaw having knockback is detrimental to its already questionable effectiveness. I would give inverse knock back, just so one could cut down imps easier without them getting out of range

Fire seems to be broken, I will get fires on me from imp balls, or rev rockets, and it will do no damage. Though revenant rockets doing fire damage sounds messed up.

Speaking of rev rockets, I still say Spinning on a dime has to stop. maybe add a script where, if under x velocity, rockets lose altitude at y rate? Just so they cant swarm around our heads for several seconds before popping on us. If I dodge a rocket , it shouldn't then swarm around like that.

unloading on rifles could really use a check if the rifle is empty, and if so unload the grenade launcher, as switching modes just to strip the gun gets very tedious.

Jumping or sprinting shouldn't then turn the minigun "off" now that the new version exists where its more like a power drill having a battery connected or not.

I've never really understood how to change scope settings on the other rifles. Am I missing something? you said they were added iirc. Speaking of scopes, the aim function of the rocket launcher could really use a formal scope now , since the unloading function from long ago on it is now useless with the unload function.

Looking at cacodemons death gave me a couple ideas... Could you make death while charging up for a caco randomly shoot out lightning balls in random directions due to the body breaking open while holding such energy? That and I would think mancubi would have a pretty nasty fire hazard considering the gasoline flame cannons, even if it was just making fire against them very dangerous.

Dead bodies do not seem to block green slime missiles from knights, barons, barrels, and I'm assuming other missiles as well.

One strange, and slightly annoying effect of the TB is the explosion sorta clipping on ledges. If I fire JUST over a ledge the target blows up, but the ledge does too. should it only explode on the point, since its an atmosphere effect rather than a literal bolt?

visually distincting a regular shotgunner from a double barrel guy would be nice, since both serve different threats.

weapon sway from velocity needs to happen with vertical movement too, going up stairs making it bob, crouching, jumping, falling, a lift activating, all of those would slightly throw off aim.

Crushers are lacking in damage in Hd, both to players, an to monsters. Seeing a jackboot survive a crusher without problems is very weird.

Armor bonus no longer grants more protection, meaning that the item is actually way less useful now, only stopping bleeding, and you cannot carry it.
Last edited by mumblemumble on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:56 am, edited 8 times in total.
MG_Man

Post by MG_Man »

I'm noticing some weirdness with reloading using the rifle (the regular one, not the Slot 6 one)

It seems that sometimes even if I'm holding reload I'll drop the mag anyway. It's not that ammo or inventory is full either, because I can pick it back up.

Something to do with the whole unlicensed magazines gimmick maybe?

Also happy to report that with just a couple tweaks to PSXDOOM.PK3 (involving door keys, menudef, and keyconf), Hideous Destructor works with the PSX Doom TC for that maximum dose of that hopeless feeling
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

You can only hold so much spare mags / extra batteries unfortunately. I think something like 10050 loose rounds is the max for 4.26. Weird part is, these individual magazines occasionally get borked up number wise. If you pick up a mag with 45 rounds, then another with 30, the smaller mag will actually be even smaller when loaded

Oh and vae thanks for making players fireproof :D at least while wearing armor.

Oh, since you at some point silently nerfed the herp to take 1 less magazine....could you detuct the weight of 1 magazine from the total? Even if you take them out after firing, the gun would have to be slightly bigger (heavier) to house a third mag, so a little weight off would make sense. Plus, making a UTILITY so heavy when its used infrequently is a bit of a pain.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Hold the zoom key and, while holding, tap fire to increase zoom and altfire to decrease. Boss has 3 levels, other guns have 2.

Same goes for airburst and Boss bullet drop adjust: fire mode and hold fire/altfire to increase/decrease respectively.

ZM66 unload pocket check confirmed to be bugged - it doesn't check for one possible situation where you ought to be able to pocket.

Seems like 0.7 of 1 point of damage rounds down to zero. :S I wonder if I should just change the flame damage to "SmokeInhalation" instead of "Thermal" and just have it penetrate armour...
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Or vae, could you make the damage randomization of fire hit / miss above / bellow 1 damage? that way fire still does damage / stuns, but with better armor, its less bothersome. Also, shouldn't ceramic take almost no thermal damage? ceramic is extremely heat resistant, in terms of damage it takes. This could be done by tweaking the numbers for armor right? Tweaking the "default" block amount for the thermal element (and making ceramic have almost 0 default block) And then adjusting the extra block amount so in total, fire is always blocked a certain amount right? just an idea. Though I think giving fire its own element would be good.

Finally got around to producing a save with the information of the BFG suicide vae! https://www.mediafire.com/?svkgvguahc1z7rr Save using going down mapset in gzdoom. I saved RIGHT as the bfg is about to fire, loading it gets you killed by the blast as is launches, flinging you. This has been around for a WHILE, so fixing that would be great. Interesting to note, the deaath is either from "player has died" or "deceleration issues". I think SOMETHING is making the BFG ray clip the player, flinging them. Also, if you step forward you take more damage, going backwards does less.

light amps do not block cells from being dropped when carried.

Got a glitch with an invincible enemy HERP, simply does not have a hitbox. https://www.mediafire.com/?svkgvguahc1z7rr using daedelus wad (which works VERY well, i might add, short of a few crappy ambush spots. On ugly, it feels a bit like a mil tac version of system shock 2. And rationing what ammo you use carefully is very important. Not having a chaingun full of ammo for the engine room for instance is a death sentence.) The Herp is through the red door, and is immune to bullets, and grenades. Oh and, make sure you pick medic at starting class, having the backpack, rad suit, and medicine will REALLY help at the start, if you play this wad, as ammo is very plentiful in general, but medicine, armor, and utilities are lacking.
Last edited by mumblemumble on Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

So, been a month or so since I've played, wanted to give a bit of feedback for the new HD:
Spoiler:
Bug?: all three armors have no HUD item icon set, so they're all invisible. You didn't include new item icons for them did you? Only other thing to note would be that loose 4.26mm indicator is a bit misaligned to the right, past the mag icon. Nevermind, both are on my end, need to update textures probably.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”