Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
CaptainToenail

Re: Hideous Destructor - an enhancement mod [update 15 Dec 2007]

Post by CaptainToenail »

Well, this mod is very well built and full of nice effects, but I find it unplayable, getting owned by Zombiemen in the Entryway just isn't fun :lol:
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

I agree, too hard.
SoulCrow

Post by SoulCrow »

I personally found the ability to shoot dead bodies quite frustrating. I'd be emptying clips and clips of ammo into something pretty weak (like a cacodemon) and it just wouldn't die. And then I realize that's because I'm ACTUALLY shooting a body just in front of it. It sounds like it would work well, but I just do not think in that way when I play doom.
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

BoldEnglishman wrote:I personally found the ability to shoot dead bodies quite frustrating. I'd be emptying clips and clips of ammo into something pretty weak (like a cacodemon) and it just wouldn't die. And then I realize that's because I'm ACTUALLY shooting a body just in front of it. It sounds like it would work well, but I just do not think in that way when I play doom.
You have to turn off autoaim.

You could either put in the console 'autoaim 0' to deactivate (to reactivate autoaim, type in 'autoaim 5000') or go to menu -> options -> player setup to deactivate autoaim.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Yeah, everything's pretty mouselook-centric in this mod.

That said, it seems the shootable corpses are now officially much more trouble than they're worth. Noted for next release.

@Soda/Toenail: Well, I'd try to make the zombies easier, but it's just that they have guns. :P
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Vaecrius wrote:Yeah, everything's pretty mouselook-centric in this mod.

That said, it seems the shootable corpses are now officially much more trouble than they're worth. Noted for next release.

@Soda/Toenail: Well, I'd try to make the zombies easier, but it's just that they have guns. :P
Zombies in general should have slow reaction times, awful aim, and low hit points. If you have one with near-human reaction and strength, then you have yourself a possessed...
SoulCrow

Post by SoulCrow »

Actually isen't the concept behind the Former Human the fact that he WAS a possessed human and not a zombie at all? Like how the original code for the trooper called him POSS or something and he just looked like a marine with square red eyes.

Though this could also go either way by id even calling him Zombieman at the end of Doom 2...
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Well, he is possessed, but wouldn't that make him basically a zombie anyway?
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

In the Doom Bible I think it said they were alive, but just under the influence of demonic commands.
Phucket

Post by Phucket »

Either way, they're way too overpowered, especially when you take into consideration the fact that a lot of mappers like to place swarms of them. It's Doom, you don't need an explanation for why the enemies behave or work the way they do.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

As mentioned, it's just the fact that this style of gameplay was simply not designed for the regular doom levels. In order for doom in general to be possible with a mod like this, you would need to ensure somehow the player has a powerful, clear-cut advantage that can make up for the sheer number of enemies that the player has to take on at a single time on average (which the original doom achieved by making the weapons somewhat overpowering and lifting the usual limitations - consider the BFG, it can wipe the floor with an entire army of demons with just one shot alone, or the player's speed, being able to run across a level with no time at all and giving ease to dodging attacks (which is further affected by the monsters' aiming, especially in the hitscans)), or it would need levels specifically designed with far less numbers of hellspawn than usual to make up for their greater strength.
Phucket

Post by Phucket »

I'm not sure if this is a glitch or not, but I killed an archvile near a mancubus, and then I tried to kill the Mancubus. The thing was, every time I killed said mancubus, it would play the archvile resurrection noise, and it'd come back to life.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Not really a glitch. You should note what the Archvile lets out when he dies.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

gold fairy dust! :D

I agree with the suggestion that custom maps should be made for this mod, as it does not work well with traditional Doom maps
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

You people are starting to sound awfully like Phobus.. :lol:

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”