Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update 02 Jan 2008]

Post by Matt »

Well, now that everything's generally pretty much running glitch-free (notwithstanding a bizarre crash that I can't replicate) I think I'll just make another post here "officiating" the version dated 9 Jan 2008 on the page.

Updates since last post:
  • Crouching now slows you down, but also helps you manage recoil.
  • TEAMINFO now internalized into the wad and the respective colours assumed by the ACS scripts.
  • Lowered the maximum health you can have before using both the medikit and the stimpack (now 40/60, used to be 60/?80). Not sure if this is an improvement or not.
  • Sped up the pump-action shotgun reload.
  • Made the killer barrel mutation rate customizable in singleplayer only.
  • Set up a hopefully not too counterintuitive system where you can toggle automatic reloading by mashing the reload key during a reloading sequence.
Future plans:
  • Empty shotgun shell casings and spent batteries. (I'm actually being serious here. There's no reason not to do them at this point.)
  • Retooling the status bar as necessary.
  • New maps and graphics, because a plan is never complete without including a list of things that don't happen. (I can literally spend all day dicking around with code but make me take more than half an hour to design something spacially with a computer and my brain just crawls out of my ear...)

Courtesy download link
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update 09 Jan 2008]

Post by Matt »

I finally got around to those shell casings. No empty mags or cell packs yet, though.

Fixed a bug where hitting reload on some weapons without actually reloading would slow you down until you actually reloaded or switched weapons.

As a minor cosmetic change, I've gotten rid of the red crosses on the health powerups. I doubt they'll be particularly missed.

download
Scorch

Bug

Post by Scorch »

When i attack with chainsaw game falls.
Versions - 1.0.30 and 32.

Thanks for great mod! :P
Matt

Re: Bug

Post by Matt »

Scorch wrote:When i attack with chainsaw game falls.
Versions - 1.0.30 and 32.

Thanks for great mod! :P
Ooh, right, forgot to check that. Fixed.

Thanks for the feedback.
Tenement Funster

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update 20 Jan 2008]

Post by Tenement Funster »

Can you change the Babuin's sprite? It's too small, looks weird, and quite frankly, is just plain ugly.
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Tenement Funster wrote:Can you change the Babuin's sprite? It's too small, looks weird, and quite frankly, is just plain ugly.
Is that the Demon replacement? Odd sprites, but it's got some great behavior coding.
Tenement Funster

Captain Ventris wrote:
Tenement Funster wrote:Can you change the Babuin's sprite? It's too small, looks weird, and quite frankly, is just plain ugly.
Is that the Demon replacement? Odd sprites, but it's got some great behavior coding.
Yeah it is. It'd be ace if it kept the same coding, but just uses the original Demon sprite or something.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I'll take a look at respriting sometime, but seeing that I've been saying that to myself for about a year and a half (basically since I first put those sprites in as a two-hour rush job) I'm not guaranteeing anything in the foreseeable future.

Before I put those in I did in fact use the demon sprites, but the stubby-legged demon leaping like that looked even worse.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Hmm... now that I try it again it doesn't look quite that bad.

What do you guys think?
Attachments
decorate.hddemonstandalone.txt
Actor name is "Babuin_". Note that the bite is a tiny bit faster since the babuin no longer has a claw attack
(2.16 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Tenement Funster

I don't have a clue what to do with that file D:
Matt

Post by Matt »

start -> run

zdoom.exe -file hd.zip decorate.hddemonstandalone.txt -warp 08

Insert appropriate paths where the filenames are

map08 just because of the demon room

hd.zip optional
Matt

Post by Matt »

I'm planning to upload the next release on Valentine's Day. Not much planned, except that I've committed the change to the babuin (putting me back down to 250k compressed! woohoo!) and I've dicked around a bit with the pain effects. I'm trying to hold back on doing anything DECORATE-related until I can get started learning the new format, but two things I've got in mind:

1) Weapon strikes when out of ammo. I've avoided this since it implies that I might need animations, but hell with that. :biggrin: However, I am concerned about how this will make the code a pain to manage when combined with the auto-reload option. So my question: Does anyone actually use auto-reloading, or can I take it out for good?

2) Mantling. I have a pretty good idea of how I could implement this (involving two invisible dummy actor spawned by A_FireCustomMissile and A_SpawnItemEx respectively and A_GivetoTarget with a custominventory item with ThrustThingZ in its pickup state), but not how to do this without assigning a special key. Any ideas?
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Finally, mantling! :P

Any who, I'd have an idea considering it was already in the Duke Plus mod by DeeperThought, maybe you could utilize mainly ACS with a little bit of the Pythagorean Theorem [sic]? :P
Matt

Post by Matt »

Blade Nightflame wrote:Any who, I'd have an idea considering it was already in the Duke Plus mod by DeeperThought, maybe you could utilize mainly ACS with a little bit of the Pythagorean Theorem [sic]? :P
How does it work in Duke Plus? What I'm aiming for is something that the player must do manually (ideally by going up to a suitable ledge and hitting the use key) - the main problem I want to get around being that, in the current system, by automatically climbing the ledge it becomes needlessly difficult to hide behind cover without suddenly exposing yourself completely.
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

Vaecrius wrote:I'm planning to upload the next release on Valentine's Day.
*Looks at title of the WAD*

What a great day to release your WAD. :mrgreen:

...Sorry, couldn't help it.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”