Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Nash

Post by Nash »

A Tenacious D mod? That would be totally rockin'! The player character would be JB and your quest is to rock Hollywood upside down but to do that you need to create a masterpiece, and to do that you'd need the Pick of Destiny. The final boss would be Satan himself and it would be one of the most unique boss battles in Doom modding history... you don't use weapons but use your wailing guitar techniques and play riffs with blazing speed to win the game! The mod would be sandbox stylike GTA and you can run around smoking weed, playing gigs, trying to get laid and stuff. XD
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

For a second, I thought that was a noob writing the idea.

Then I looked at who the hark posted it. <<;;
Nash

Post by Nash »

No shit. What the hell was I on? I haven't slept for 2 days. :(
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

2 days? What kind of work do you do? x_x

Is there a new download link yet? This sounds kind of interesting.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I'm a sound engineer. Every now and then some band will come up to me with an album project and that's when my body clock totally screws up.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Damn, and here I was just thinking of a BFG replacement that replaced a couple graphics and the onset sound with the player rocking out really hard... >_>

Also new update (and realization that I had previously postdated my updates too far ahead):
  • Chaingun more user-friendly. It now turns on and off like the plasma rifle - the hand-cranked shot now occurs if you fire while the gun is off.
  • Recoloured the zombies to be more zombie-like.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Remember kids: as long as the resulting shambling undead abomination is sentient, thread necromancy is AAAAAWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIGHT!
  • For the most part, HD should be Doom 1 compatible. It relies mostly on a script that just checks for level number to get rid of the super shotgun, though, so there might be problems if you're running this with, say, KDIZD.
  • I've changed the weapon balance slightly between the rifle and the chaingun. Each chaingun bullet is deadlier (i.e., coming closer to the rifle), but I've reduced the amount of rounds available while upping the rocket count slightly to encourage grenade use. I still seem to be getting better results from the chaingun, though.
  • Caco and fatty are both nastier than before.
  • The score now disappears with everything else when you set screenblocks to 12.
  • Been meaning to do this for a while: video preview for those who haven't played HD yet
Matt

Post by Matt »

Some pretty big weapons updates. If anyone remembers when I said I wanted Gyrojet-style rockets and I never got around to it because I couldn't accelerate on the Z axis? Well, screw vertical aiming, I did it anyway. Enjoy!

Besides that, a bit more tweaking of the rifle/chaingun balance: the weapons' firing rates and damage are a little closer together, but the underslung grenade launcher becomes a bigger advantage, ammo actually becomes an issue if you use the chaingun constantly, and the chaingun feels a bit more sluggish and unwieldy than before. It also doesn't constantly switch on and off should you for whatever reason hold on to the altfire key and not let go.

See the page for detailed list of updates.

Courtesy download link
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor - an enhancement mod [update 19 Nov 2007]

Post by Matt »

Rather large update from the last time I posted on this thread.

Some highlights:

Weapons:
  • The BFG now has a longer charge delay and ammo usage to make up for its super effectiveness. (You should, in theory, be able to take out a cyberdemon in one or two shots.) It behaves a bit differently in deathmatch: instead of a ball that shoots targets, you invoke the BFG tracer attack several times in rapid succession as the ball comes out!
  • I never liked the mini-rocketlauncher version of the plasma rifle. Now instead it pukes out a huge blast of power. Very effective once you get the hang of it. Medium range only, though.
  • Rockets! They move in more or less a straightish line again! You can aim them now! YAY!
  • Chaingun now fires a little faster, randomly going up to 2100 rpm. I have not made any corresponding change on the chaingun guy, and I get this feeling no one really wants me to.
  • Rifle shoots a little harder. The damage parity thing I'd originally wanted really wasn't working.
Monsters:
  • Added a few standalone files for the lower-level monsters.
  • The dead are now shootable and can actually provide some valuable cover. (Note: for cross-mod compatibility purposes this does not apply to the standalone files.)
  • Zombies, Nazis, imps, and babuins are all capable of alerting other monsters once they've spotted you. This risks having half the monsters on the map swarming you during the first thirty seconds; if it gets too much, I might remove this feature.
  • Arachnotron now fires each burst in a straight line. It's actually much easier to avoid now, since it doesn't spaz out when you move. This may be a good thing, given the plasma ball's (inadvertently, I must admit) increased lethality.
  • Spider mastermind now runs differently from before.
  • Changed the aesthetics of the revenant ball a bit.
  • New obituraries.
courtesy download link

detailed changes
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor - an enhancement mod [update 30 Nov 2007]

Post by Matt »

Three major changes this time:
  • You now pick stuff up by pressing use! Problem is, this blocks switches so I've made everything really small so you can move around them to hit a switch if need be. Let me know if this is too pixelbitchy and I'll see what I can do.
  • The BFG: By trying to fire, you can charge this thing up to full after loading as little as 20 cells! Problem (besides the time to do this) is that any significant movement will abort the charge - unless your health is below 40, in which case the hellish powers inside the BFG start sucking your life away to charge the weapon up!
  • The hand grenades: 1) They now roll along the ground, instead of sticking to the floor after they've stopped bouncing. 2) Altfire lets you cook off the grenade (you'll always throw at the last moment though). Hitting reload while holding altfire lets you throw at half power instead of full.

courtesy download link

detailed changes
Unknown_Assassin

Re: Hideous Destructor - an enhancement mod [update 15 Dec 2007]

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

killerbarrel.zip isn't working for me. I am using the recent SVN version of ZDoom.
Matt

Post by Matt »

...and that's what happens when you leave bits of stuff sitting in separate files and don't update it for months and months. :oops: ::sticks in quote marks::

Fixed.
Phucket

Post by Phucket »

It'd be nice if there were some more animations for reloading. For example, instead of having the rifle just lower for a few seconds and then raise again, you could make it lower, jolt up and then down slightly as your character slams in a fresh magazine, and then have the Doom Guy's hand come up and cock it.
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

I'm not sure if this was intentional in your wad, but the dead corpses can be shootable and the BFG won't work when you get pummeled by monsters.

BTW, my eyes hurt when I keep getting hurt. It keeps flashing red. Is there a way to stop this? Also, when you have very low health, is it intentional for the screen to keep flashing black? It hurts my eyes, too.
Matt

Post by Matt »

@Phucket: I'll take a look at that. The offsets were a real rush job - I'd only meant at first for them to be placeholders for some supposedly imminent actual reload sprites. Maybe over what's left of this Christmas "break" I could at least get one rifle sprite done...

@UA: That is completely intended behaviour, although I might tone the persistent red flash down a bit at the easier skill levels. (I'd rather just have a black flash/fade effect myself, but I can't see how to change that.)

As for the BFG, that was originally the intended effect, but considering the backstory for it I should change it so you don't lose the chargeup sequence when hurt.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”