Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Big C

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated July 20, 2015]

Post by Big C »

Vaecrius wrote:Ooh, one more thing to add: shouldn't clash with DSPISTOL, which I would really rather keep as the actual pistol sound.

(Crazy thought: replace shotgun sounds with stock D2 SSG sound through SNDINFO, remix DSBAREXP to play faster as rifle?)
Worth a try, at least. Maybe mash up the SSG and 1SG's firing sounds?
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

We really need some way to drop certain items, like broken herps / derps, dud rockettes, ect... They consume weight, but cannot be dropped, which gets rather infuriating.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Vaecrius wrote:(Crazy thought: replace shotgun sounds with stock D2 SSG sound through SNDINFO, remix DSBAREXP to play faster as rifle?)
oh wow that just sounded stupid.

Sounds will be unchanged in the foreseeable future.

EDIT: So I tried to insert a couple sounds from SoundBible into HD, and for some reason they always end up being really, really quiet. Anyone know why?
EDIT2: Right, stereo/mono. Expect different audio experience next update.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

I find it funny how Jax pointed out the guns sounding like toy store dollar isle guns, when I said something pretty similar to that in regards to the SSG sound effect a looooong time ago. (well, long in terms of internet time.) I'm actually quite happy with the current sounds, (especially your progress on getting 4mm to sound just right) but I'm excited to see what plans you have.

I'll check again to make sure this is the case, but since the Krangling gameplay-wise (which would mean lore-wise too) got upgraded with a Thunder Buster, could his close range broken-beam attack require less wait/aim time? It makes sense that it would need a second to brace an attack like the main long-range beam to make sure it hits exactly where intended, but I imagine a quadruped brain monster would be able fire the broken-beam with much less scrutiny. I like this mod's concept on having non-rotate-in-place spider monsters, so a quicker fire time would work out. You can have an easy time strafing the it in the starting temple cave in Sunlust MAP03, if you decide to not use the convenient cover. (so far I recommend Sunlust for HD, I like beautiful maps with challenging mods.)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Vaecrius wrote:EDIT: So I tried to insert a couple sounds from SoundBible into HD, and for some reason they always end up being really, really quiet. Anyone know why?
EDIT2: Right, stereo/mono. Expect different audio experience next update.
Bear in mind also, most Doom sounds are about 3 dB louder than those from other games, so some manual amplification may be needed.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Yes, that was what I did.

...ultimately the result didn't seem too terribly different. :V I guess I'll know by this time next week how they sound to everyone else.

Krangling lack of prowess up close is deliberately left like that... I like to think that with those big brains and no chests they overanalyze the situation and fail to respond to fast-moving threats in time!
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Well, I suppose if in the past they'd only resort to their main beam up close from provocation that often blew them up in the process, the option of having a safe close quarters beam attack is better than nothing. Their focal ability is sniping after all.

...I also haven't tested to see if mumble is right about broken robots and duds being non-droppable from your inventory. Also, could we see a final inventory control in the vein of dropping 1 unit of ammo when pressed? (could actually be a repeat control so pressing once and holding for example dumps a steady stream of shotgun shells like Doom Guy is emptying his pockets.)
Big C

Post by Big C »

Yeah. Also, Krangling's if you'll notice aren't very maneuverable. They function more like small tanks with legs than heavy infantry (presumably the four-legged setup is to give them a very stable firing platform), so their problems with tracking are pretty justified.
StatisticalHourglass

Post by StatisticalHourglass »

Vaecrius wrote:Yes, that was what I did.

...ultimately the result didn't seem too terribly different. :V I guess I'll know by this time next week how they sound to everyone else.

Krangling lack of prowess up close is deliberately left like that... I like to think that with those big brains and no chests they overanalyze the situation and fail to respond to fast-moving threats in time!
Wouldn't that give them instantaneous reflexes and laser-like precision? they probably see everything in slow motion too. :p
still, from a balance perpective i think they're fine, can't have everything in the mod instantly deadly you know.
Matt

Post by Matt »

@StatisticalHourglass:
http://thoughtcatalog.com/brianna-wiest ... nderstand/
http://m.livescience.com/51376-how-long ... ravel.html
https://standingonshoulders.wordpress.c ... on-of-man/
(that said, yeah there's also a game balance issue too :V)

The thematic contrast in character design between the spider mastermind and cyberdemon, mirrored in a more clearly evil and degraded way as between the arachnotron and mancubus, is one of those many little questionably-intentional strokes of genius that I love about Doom.

Re: less stinky droppings: I have not forgotten that - it's just one of those things I want to leave in the back burner for the time being because I would like to make it part of a larger overhaul.
StatisticalHourglass

Post by StatisticalHourglass »

Well, that one is questionably valid since it refers specifically to overthinkers, and not spiders with enormous brains, unless spiders are naturally overthinkers, in that case the enormous brain wouldn't help much.
Alright, valid point there, big brains, long distances. still the mechanized implants don't apply since they could have superconductive wires to transmit the signals, and so the brain could be implanted similarly to increase reaction times.
I guess mechanical evil spiders really have no heart, but how does this affect their ability to murder effectibly? shooting you is more of an instinctive decision than a moral one in my opinion.
The thematic contrast in character design between the spider mastermind and cyberdemon, mirrored in a more clearly evil and degraded way as between the arachnotron and mancubus, is one of those many little questionably-intentional strokes of genius that I love about Doom.
very much agreed there, also that would mean arachnotrons are female then, wich means they tend to use both hemispheres of the brain in cooperation, and are more effective using it overall, i don't know if they'd be better in combat trough, as men are more capable of solving individual problems better.
Big C

Post by Big C »

I always figured that the spiderdemons were effectively genderless, as they were purpose-built cyborgs made from a union of cybernetic grafts placed onto an otherwise-stunted organism. Both halves were designed from the ground up, whereas the cyberdemon looks like it was once a fully-flesh-and-blood demon that was granted more cybernetics and more power as it suffered battle damage in prior battles. In short---the spiderdemons have little concept of gender because they came out of Hellish cloning tanks rather than something's womb, and the spider mastermind is part-mother and part-mentor. I guess it COULD be female if the arachs had any genetic relation.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Big C wrote:Yeah. Also, Krangling's if you'll notice aren't very maneuverable. They function more like small tanks with legs than heavy infantry (presumably the four-legged setup is to give them a very stable firing platform), so their problems with tracking are pretty justified.
I did, which is why I pointed out that they're quadrupeds :P i just felt that the broken beam attack still requires "aim" time that didn't feel as necessary since it uses it as a close range attack. And then I remembered that the broken beam starts destroying pretty much as soon as it starts so I had a second thought like...nah.
Arek_PL

Post by Arek_PL »

archatrons are realy good when target is unaware or too slow
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Spoiler:

E1M4 time.

I hope the rest of this episode goes as well as this level went.

EDIT: Part of me really, really wants to be able to gib the larger demons. The whole thing about using the saw to rip up corpses to make them harder to revive by random demon magic or a healer imp. Which unfortunately means nothing against any of the demons that are genuinely threatening, because they don't have XDeath states.

Granted, I know that this is a problem with both the precious filesize and finding the sprites, but still.
Last edited by Silentdarkness12 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”