Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
mumblemumble

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated September 26, 2016

Post by mumblemumble »

Oh I know, but a chainsaw is something DESIGNED for cutting through hard materials like wood, some metals (depending on the saw) I think would make extremely short work of fleshy creatures in reality.

I know theres not MUCH data on chainsaw combat effectiveness, but seeing as how it can go through a pigs entire neck in around a little over a second.....I think it would be frighteningly effective. Surely enough to drop a zombie with one good lunge

http://www.northtowncompany.com/ics_Pow ... g_saw.html

(no, im not posting the video, even if its on topic, posting gore vids would be something I bet weasel would have a chat with me about)
Last edited by mumblemumble on Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Update to my attempts to use Hideous Destructor with the Hell On Earth Starter Pack episodes.

I am now at Marine HQ, it has taken me the better part of four hours to get this far. Full health is a deluded fever dream. It is a struggle to clear one room of hostiles. It is only because of early knowledge of secrets and lucky spawns that I have a rocquette launcher and a vulcan along with a caseless assault rifle.

But god in heaven, I'm having fun.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Gideon: Sweet!

Mumbles: I've thought about that pressure thing in the past, actually, but it didn't really make sense to me - I would think most of the cutting motion would be done through the chain itself, so if you're pushing too hard/fast the wrong way wouldn't that just interfere with the cutting action?
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

In this case, could you make the shortest range attack make the saw bog down on impact?...this way too much pressure would make it slow down next tick, or something?
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Quick update for now:

Have started the second episode after the hellish slog through the portal testing lab. I have learned much about my ability to persevere.

I have a mini-cannon now, it's HEAT rounds are perfect for Archviles.

I think I shall rest in this peaceful glade, before I activate the radio tower and start the journey again.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

You realize archviles don't have normal hit points right? they need to feel pain x amount of times.

Shotguns work just as good, if not better.

And the mini cannon works great for barons, a straight shot to the chest can 1 shot them. They don't actually fire HEAT rounds btw, the rocket launcher fires them. The damage and performance of each is pretty interesting. Black rockets (standard) do the most splash damage as far as I can tell (or at least just as much as the tan HEAT rounds) and do damage based on velocity. Low ranges they do decent damage, but long ranges they can do significantly more. They also have shrapnal built in like a hand grenade, so fragments can still do damage to distant targets potentially, as well as shred those immediately close. Heat rounds are much more heavy and powerful, but do best at long range. A cyberdemon can be 1 shot with a heat round given enough distance to get enough velocity to blow it apart. At low distances, its only marginally better than rockets. The BRONTO however (minicanon) Does not need to speed up after launch anywhere near as much. Meaning out the gate it does more damage. Enough to kill a baron, as said before, and actually a better bet for cyberdemons close / mid range if you can find the gun / ammo. It also pierces anything smaller than a hellknight, so it can be very useful for that. It works for killing ninja pirates because of this, but its VERY overkill. This said, the round has almost no explosive power, hand grenades are significantly stronger in the blast power. (The discussion of the heat round gets me thinking, shouldn't heat rounds have a pretty huge explosive radius at short range, like double that of a grenade fire rocket? I think all the fuel and the warhead would cause a pretty nasty bang at close up, with the extra fuel to throw it around. Not only that but given the NATURE of heat rounds, they should apply to HD penetrate too imho.)

By the way vae, could you perhaps use the angle detecting code of the critical hit to tell what angle the player is cutting into the target? Perhaps trying to cut from the side rather than pushing straight in would work better. Just an idea... Combined with he pressure idea, and a lot of math, you could make for a powerful, but finicky weapon.

SSG is currently heavier than the shotgun....why is this?
Last edited by mumblemumble on Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael65

Post by Michael65 »

The Hell on Earth map pack actually works surprisingly damn well for Hideous Destructor, at least before you get to the Hell levels I'd imagine. I played up to map15 and was having a lot of fun with it, especially once you reach the city levels with all the urban warfare and chaos going on. Honestly it'd be amazing if someone made a mapset like those city maps, specifically designed for HD's gameplay.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

SSG is currently heavier than the shotgun....why is this?
...........because of a very, very silly oversight in bracketing that will be fixed next update. -_-

Also, the chainsaw damage was nothing like what I remembered (having not touched the chainsaw when dealing with moving targets for months if not years) and there will definitely be an overall damage increase next update as well.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Ooooh. Better Chainsaw? Yis.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

See, when I point out something 5 times, its generally for a reason vae :P

btw, I feel herps and derps would be much better as a rare SHOTGUN GUY spawn. Shotgun guys are supposes to be significantly more dangerous, and higher ranking, while zombiemen are just some mook zombified, given a rifle and wished the best of luck. Doubt a partrol of such low rank soldiers would be given such nice equipment, generally the grunts in military are just given a gun, and told to patrol xyz, while jackboots, and higher ranking zombies would be more specialized, and given special gear. Or at least, this is the case when its NOT used for assaults on positions, but I still think the higher ranking zombies would get access to the really nice toys before the stormtroopers did.

Melee with use key having such a low cut off with stamina is kind of a pain, and not realistic. Really, in a frenzy of combat, you would have to be pretty exhausted to not be able to swing properly. Really, I could say this for both this, and the "lowered to to sprint again" thing. Keep in mind, currently you can sprint, hit the walk key, and walk for 3 hours and NOT still be able to sprint, because technically the stamina isn't low enough yet.

I've noticed the new encumbrance code is buggy as fuck. Picking up a TB for instance, loaded, with fists out, raises encumberance by 40. Equiping it lowers it by 125. Dropping it while equiped raises encumberance by 150 or so. End result is im running around marswar with 8 berserks, 30 shells, 10 rockets, 8 grenades, 4 bolts, 1 heat round, 3 pistol clips, 7 UAC standard mags, 8 libirator mags, 2 pistols, a liberator battle rifle with GL, rocket launcher, SSG, TB, Bronto, herp, and derp, 6 med kits, 5 stims, 1 potion, spare blue armor vest with only 1082 blocks....and dropping them all (the guns at least) gets me to 1004 blocks?... Guess hideous destructor guy has been working out? I think before that loadout would be almost DOUBLE encumbrance. For this very reason, i might save this update under another name :lol:

also, damn, aggravated damage from berserk use is no joke. I tried using them like asprin because I had plenty, and a few levels in I had a constant 50 hp even when high.You know, maybe berserk high should push past the aggrivated / lethal damage health cap for the duration of the high. Kinda like addiction effects

I found a neat effect which might be fun for custom maps... if you have zombiemen outside the map, they will attempt to fire on you through the walls, and with HD penetrate on, this is kind of like having gunners shooting at the building blindly that you are inside...might be a fun effect. Particularly if you could figure out how to say, restrain a spidermastermind and let it fire at you from a distance, emulating a helicopter strafing a building with chaingun fire.

hunter shotgun unloading cannot be interrupted like reloading.

new babuins + derp = derp noooooo stop shooting me! I cannot express how I feel about the new babuins, but they perfectly show what you wanted to convey with "yippy dogs happy to lunge at your knees teeth first". Even if they technically kill slower, they are much more obnoxious, and really feel like attack dogs.
Fort of Hard Knox

Post by Fort of Hard Knox »

Man, I remember Vae working on the encumbrance code for forever. Every time someone has brought it up, I could hear his thousand-yard-stare through the digital expanse.

Also the bonuses from berserk are vast and powerful, but I've always seen it as 'the body has been withered through continued combat and punishment allowed almost exclusively from the use of chemicals, and eventually the chemical will be far more able to engage the enemy than the body that holds them will be able to'. It's a mechanic that has seemed to lean more towards hypothetical realism (meaning the mind and shortcomings of the body) than game balance, even for HD. I've spent plenty of time playing with berserk and I've tried to save it for truly necessary situations, because irresponsible use of it tends to cause me massive problems, and also seems to hide every source of spiritual healing as well.

Also can we talk about how awesome that 'blind chopper fire' effect would be?
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

I know, the encumberance MUST be a bitch to code, but considering I can hold that much equipment, I think bringing it up is worth it. Its rather silly when guns weigh next to nothing, and I can carry every gun under the sun with almost no problems

Berserks, yeah, I understand it must be used responsibly, but its just so FUN!... Funny how I dont, and have never used drugs IRL, past caffine, and extremely rare nicotine, yet I seem to gleefully use drugs in HD and other games. Plus, with a few potions or spheres, its pretty much guilt free. Though, I think berserks should give slightly faster reloads as well. I know I think and operate faster with nicotine, so I imagine berserk would let you reload as fast as the metal of the weapon would move.

For the chopper fire, I can give it a shot, perhaps with say, doomguy fighting his way through office cubicles and a spidermastermind strafing the building as he passes the hallways near the windows, fighting zombies in the office / cubicles, either hiding behind desks or running from cover to cover to avoid the spray of lead through the building... Yeah, that sounds fun. I just dont know how the heck i'm going to position a monster OUTSIDE the map reliably, but I will try

Its actually funny how I discovered it, I kept dying on a map and was so confused, hearing bullet impacts everywhere but seeing nothing. I thought HD broke, but turned out a zombie was outside the map, firing inward, and the bullets went through the walls, into me.

The cool part is, while dangerous, they are extremely inaccurate as the rounds are aimed TWICE, first by the shooter, and another time going through the wall being redirected. So coupled with a mastermind pinned say, 1024 units away, firing into the building, then the bullets tumbling, the rounds would be nerve-wracking, but not very dangerous... ..similar to vogons from hitchhikers guide to the galexy. Hell, shots might even save you haha.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Slydir wrote:Man, I remember Vae working on the encumbrance code for forever. Every time someone has brought it up, I could hear his thousand-yard-stare through the digital expanse.
Heh. Ain't that bad now that most of it is set up, but I don't play with encumbrance much so a lot of bugs get missed.

In this case, though, the current release really is bugged horribly:

Code: Select all

+CheckInventory("Blooper")-CheckWeapon("Blooper")*3
etc. should be

Code: Select all

+(CheckInventory("Blooper")-CheckWeapon("Blooper"))*3
Re: zerk: My intent was pretty much what Slydir said - sort of an extremely time-compressed take on stuff like Blitzkriegs fueled by speed. Drug abuse hiding sources of spiritual healing, though... o_O that is deep and scary.

That is a neat idea for custom maps... reminds me of back in the day when I kept wanting to do a WW1-style map for HD with scripted rocket explosions all over the place...
Fort of Hard Knox

Post by Fort of Hard Knox »

All I meant by the sources of spiritual healing is that in all of the long runs I did and abused berserk, I would never be able to find any potions or spheres. So I would be perpetually crippled by the wounds,not actually hampered by some strange mechanic.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I know, it just seemed surprisingly apt the way you'd put it.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”