Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Abba Zabba

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated September 28, 2015

Post by Abba Zabba »

I agree with Big C on the movement speeds, it feels like it belongs even if it makes mortality rates go up by 50%. However, running/sprinting (whatever it's called now) could use a tad bit of an endurance reduction as while it still may be able to go longer distances than the leap, it doesn't go quite far enough to compensate for this fact IMO.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I just had to sprint to catch a bus today.

I did about 50m and wasn't winded, which took me about 8 seconds.

50/8*3600=22.5 km/h which is roughly the old HD doomguy normal running (not sprinting) speed.

I am completely untrained in running and work at a desk job and mod videogames and browse social media in my spare time. I was also slightly slowed down because I was wearing my "minimalist" shoes (actually just these worn as street shoes) and the sidewalk was covered in little hard bits of plant debris.

Trying to visualize the equivalent run in HD we would probably be looking at a rather winded doomguy after about 3 seconds - basically a normal person's sprint greatly compressed and exaggerated.

I'm considering possibly reducing the run and sprint speeds, in favour of a more tiring, higher forward leap that can still accomplish what we need.
Big C

Post by Big C »

You could run/sprint for a LONG time in the ARMA games, it just left you winded for a long, long while afterwards. A slow walk is fine, but I think more is better than less when it comes to running/sprinting.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

I'm cool with either a slight buff or a decent nerf; as long as running/sprinting has utility too instead of leaping being the go to movement. If you pace yourself with a pause of a second (while walking) in between leaps, you pretty much don't tucker out. Run/sprint, on the other hand, doesn't seem to let you throttle it anymore, and seems completely inferior to just bunny hopping around. (not the bunny hopping trick, I'm just picturing doom guy leaping around like a damn rabbit since that's apparently his main gait)
StatisticalHourglass

Post by StatisticalHourglass »

I like what Big C said something like in the arma games, in real life a person can run for a really long time, but with potentially dangerous effects such as fainting or heart attacks, the time it takes to recover is proportional to how long is the sprint. so something like this for hd would be useful when you have to escape quickly, while still being balanced with a really long recover period.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Yeah. You would not BELIEVE the kind of cardio training real-life U.S. Marines get.
Toberone

Post by Toberone »

I mean doomguy(or hd guy)is still carrying a ton of shit though.

I'd be pretty winded just carrying a vulcanette. Is that not really a factor though? I know this mod has some degree of dissonance from reality for the sake of gameplay still.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Depends. I'm not sure how much heavier a Vulcanette is supposed to be compared to, say, an M249 SAW.
Toberone

Post by Toberone »

Actually I meant more to infer about the running capabilities of a marine with a full arsenal of HD weaponry

I mean you got the vulcanette, the rocket launcher, the bfg, that mortar weapon thing, etc. That weight adds up.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

I guess that's more of a consideration for carry limit games, which I believe would already handle stamina tweaks pretty well by setting the default player speed to a lower value, making leaps and sprinting less effective. Leaps are still crazy far though.
Big C

Post by Big C »

On that note, suggest making soul/megasphere overhealth grant the player noticeably-improved movement speed and MUCH more stamina both to better replicate how transformative their effects are and to make them more valuable as powerups.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Bug: holding sprint down doesn't allow for stamina recovery. I know this sounds like a joke, but I mean holding sprint while standing in place doesn't let it recover, you keep shaking at whatever exhaustion level you were at once you let off the gas until you release sprint and redraw your weapon. Not that huge of a gameplay mechanic this hinders, but some time it's really good for point to point travel.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Big C wrote:On that note, suggest making soul/megasphere overhealth grant the player noticeably-improved movement speed and MUCH more stamina both to better replicate how transformative their effects are and to make them more valuable as powerups.
Having any blue in you already does significantly affect fatigue and stun recovery.
StatisticalHourglass

Post by StatisticalHourglass »

Toberone wrote:Actually I meant more to infer about the running capabilities of a marine with a full arsenal of HD weaponry

I mean you got the vulcanette, the rocket launcher, the bfg, that mortar weapon thing, etc. That weight adds up.
maybe having less weapons could affect stamina, running speed, etc.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I'm tempted to make a soundpack where the player's death and pain sounds are all Term's noises from this run.

EDIT: It's also the first time I've seen the monsters machine gun someone to gibs in this mod :shock:
Last edited by Matt on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”