Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
mumblemumble

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated May 1, 2016]

Post by mumblemumble »

Color me not a fan of the new revenant missle. These rockets have been zooming around the knight for a solid 5 minutes after a revenant / knight infight (which also shows they don't always target at the proper height, as they are zooming over its head), this is just stupid...I wouldn't mind if they could not decelerate as fast, this is what bothers me the most, that they can be moving almost not at all, yet still fly..it doesn't feel remotely realistic anymore, before they were kinda bad at close range, and dangerous at long range, and while they could home in, they could never loop around back to get you on another pass because they couldn't slow down, but now its far too easy for it to turn around in the space of a few yards to blow you up. It feels more like a flying baubin than a missle now. if anything can be done to keep it from going slow speeds , this would really help, or at least keep it from slowing down too much . OR, make them fall out of the air if under a certain velocity. I also think a bit of deviancy from homing like before would be nice, maybe not a huge amount, but something.
Spoiler:
seeing as the single pistol has no weight, extra pistols have no use (new york reload is gone) and everything else, should pistols be pruned from backpack drops / other item spawns? seems it just makes extra effort involved to get the 15 rounds out, and since the pistol has no weight alone, theres really no reason to drop the pistol other than stripping out mags anyway. Getting extra pistols from a back pack for instance feels exceptionally useless. Infact, maybe they should have a chance to spawn armor vests.

As for armor bonuses with the "carry" idea, I was thinking since bonuses are a bit more of an artifact, that them being on use makes sense, perhaps like the spiritual energy of it effects the first person it touches, so carrying it obviously wouldn't work.... Though green and blue vests make sense. Speaking of armor, have you heard of graphene? Very lightweight, extremely durable? I know it might be perhaps overpowered for the mod, but still.

also may I suggest a small feature for the t-buster? can we get a way to make a tiny delay after the bolt explodes? I keep noticing at full battery the muzzle jump often makes me fry myself by zapping the ceiling with another bolt unintentionally, so getting a way to at least turn on a "semi auto" mode for it would be nice, perhaps bound to the weapon fire mode key. Just something so I can sniper through a small area without accidentally frying myself.

I'm also noticing many demons are immune to fire, namely imps, barons, baubins, and a few others..is this intended? I can see barons, maybe imps, but baubins seems to bug me.

a few monsters seem noticably weaker now with the new crit mechanic. Cacodemons can be killed with 10 zm shots carefully fired, baubins can be 1 shot, and revenants can be 2 shot with a hunter...not necessarily bad things, but something to note. I'm also noticing enemy herps are stupidly powerful now, and I seem to instantly die. I don't even hear it go off, I just collapse dead, and this isn't even close up, this is a good distance away (from start to hallway wall, in map01 of doom 2?)

Just an fyi, the spawn for the libby is weird in that the bullets inside it are technically impossible. It starts with 31 rounds, but the first round is not chambered, so theres technically 31 rounds in the 30 round magazine, which shouldn't be possible. Could either make it start with 30, or have the round chambered on pickup.

Sometimes for whatever reason enemy herps / derps get shot for no reason by enemies. is it possible the camera detection scan is causing retaliation when it hits a monster?

Just a thought, the current minigun spin sound sounds a bit off... not sure if its worth the space, but a softer sounding, more static noise would be better... Also, shouldn't the spin sound apply to a herp as well? Either way, I'd rather have the sound than nothing, but getting the very tail end of the rev up sound, but just extended by a good amount would be perfect imo.

Dodging cannot be performed during reloads. Really, I think it could be done, but would throw the magazine / possibly the gun to the floor during due to holding the weapon strangely and reloading while doing a quick, unplanned movement. Be it dropping shells, a mag, or dropping a heavier weapon like a rocket launcher / chaingun, I think having it as a possibility would be nice.

Holding down the run button while really, really tired makes you go slower than when not holding it at same stamina level.

"storedderp" is not a thing, I occasionally get an error saying this at the beginning of a level, coming from a random spawner

Because of recent changes to jumping, some mantling efforts cannot be made. particularly if you try to mantle something while your feet are technically off the ground, the mantle will not work well. First map of 3rd episode of starter pack is a good example, getting inside the fort isn't really possible.
Last edited by mumblemumble on Wed May 04, 2016 2:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Seconding implementing some way to protect against crits. As brutal as Dark Souls is, I don't think it gives significantly different damage if, say, an enemy arrow hits your character in the face. So if we're gonna do that with HD I think it'd be handy to have some sort of safeguard.
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

Big C wrote:Seconding implementing some way to protect against crits. As brutal as Dark Souls is, I don't think it gives significantly different damage if, say, an enemy arrow hits your character in the face. So if we're gonna do that with HD I think it'd be handy to have some sort of safeguard.
Dark Souls actually does give a damage bonus for headshots with the bow! It isn't always very easy or viable, but it's a thing that they do take into account!
Big C

Post by Big C »

JimmyJ wrote:
Big C wrote:Seconding implementing some way to protect against crits. As brutal as Dark Souls is, I don't think it gives significantly different damage if, say, an enemy arrow hits your character in the face. So if we're gonna do that with HD I think it'd be handy to have some sort of safeguard.
Dark Souls actually does give a damage bonus for headshots with the bow! It isn't always very easy or viable, but it's a thing that they do take into account!
Oh. Huh, my bad then.

Well in that case the counter is that precision shots with ranged weapons in Dark Souls are impractical for all but the most skilled shooters.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Where exactly in the ACS are crit checks performed? I can't seem to find it.

But yeah, I do kind of miss the old crit-less system, but I like how you can make shots really count with the system. Though, less so now with the weapon overhaul, since now you can potentially kill a lot more things if you have a bunch of EULA rifles lying about...
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

It's not in the ACS, but the bullet DECORATE, in dcfunctn.txt. To disable all of it, just throw in a "BLET A 0 stop" somewhere in the xdeath1 before that big tangle of code.

(Bit ironic about making each shot count... one thing that I really hate about locational damage bonuses is that I end up spamming full auto even more since that's the best way to make sure something hits that sweet spot. It's that perfect illusory sense of control over the randomness that makes me go total Skinner-box...)
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

One thought for the vulcananette, shouldn't reving up / down throw off aim? Pressing the trigger on a drill gun certainly causes a bit of recoil, i would think a massive platform like that beast of a gun would nearly comtourt you a little from the initial spinning. Also, perhaps gun "bumping" with the vulcananette should be exaggerated, as moving parts would possibly throw the gun in a different direction if they impact a surface. Would also balance things, as currently the player seems much more adept with the vulcananette than the heavies.

Berserk running jump feels a little bit like a sprinting jump from spiderman 2. Now, i don't mind this, and its actually absolutely hilarious, and fitting considering the drug, but maybe make the jump a little less like a human flea. At least require a bit of a run into it first. Currently, feels a little like hae lins dash from demonsteele, and as much as i love hd and demonsteele, i think its fair to say a comparison like that should never be made. This said, i think having a berserk only buff to where you can leap up walls would kick ass. So, don't remove the jump buff completely, but maybe scale it better, because i busted out laughing. Consider scaling it back just slightly,(read, please don't completely remove) though having this ability still would be cool, but only if we get momentum into it first.

New inventory mechanic seems to destroy talismans if full, and picking up a 4th one.

Unloading a rockette launcher unloads onto the ground, rather than player inventory.

I do think if spiderminds cannot shoot at crouching players, they should at least get a sort of clunky, slow melee attack. Slow because moving such a massive body / attacking with legs would be hard, but "the great mind behind the invasion" should be smart enough to at least try another tactic if the first one isn't working. Perhaps a small aoe say 40 units in front of it, which can be dodged of course (if you are ballsy) but at least makes getting under him not a complete win. Because right now it is way too abusable. And even if the mastermind isn't the best tactician / fighter, it should recognize when something isn't working at all. Its not a zombie after all.

Icon of sin "loops" back to its finale dialog when damaged mid finale, this can cause endless looping of the same final diolog. Perhaps make it invulnerable after it enters its finale to prevent this?

Dropped smgs and pistols are always full.

Haulting rocket launcher reload by tapping reload doesn't work all the time, but holding reload does.

Chaingun rev only alerts on start, not a constant alert.

Grenades have 0 stun chance on Archviles at all it seems.

Mastermind is broken, dark 7 map 7 is impossible to die on if you don't climb the stairs, unless a turret gets you...

For some reason, turret shots reverse after 10 yards... I don't mind though, fuck turrets.

Death cam is now often blocked by the player corpse, inducing epileptic seizures perhaps..
Last edited by mumblemumble on Thu May 05, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

The shotguns are the only ones that drop directly into the inventory when unloading either its tube magazine or its side saddles, which is a pinch odd. Guessing the case for having magazine weapons like the pistol, rifles, and SMG drop everything unloaded onto the floor is that there isn't a check in place to say "hey, don't pocket that, you're going to waste ammo" if you unload something while your loose rounds are near full.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Long story short I just haven't had the time and energy to go back to all the unloads and get the pocket/drop checks in - it'll eventually be done later when it's done soon, etc.

I just noticed I never made a "dropped" variant of the pistol, since no monster ever shoots a pistol at you. I suppose that means they should never think to load them either, so they should be varied...
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

I was going to say that they'd all be more or less fully loaded since the demons overwhelmed the marines so swiftly that they never had a chance to go for their sidearm, but that's saying that they all sucked/were ambushed/had weapon malfunctions, when in reality I think there would have been some lone survivors that would have stuck it out to the bitter end and wound up using every last bit of their ammo in the process. Additionally it's pretty nice having monsters drop fully loaded pistols since you can pop out the full mag and throw the chambered round into your pocket instead of waiting around for it to consolidate. But it's not a bad idea by any means.
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated May 9, 2016]

Post by Matt »

No changes to armour or unloading in this NEW UPDATE!, as I'm hoping to do right after uploading something hopefully stable-ish before going forward.

Changes:
  • Bugfix: Distant rifle sound spawner for 7mm was not being spawned when the shooter was not a player.
  • Bugfix: Misnamed spawn state in dropped SMG.
  • Bugfix: "Vile count" was constantly being reset when bigger monsters were being raised.
  • Bugfix: I don't know why I had the SMG set to force-skip the check to see if you were holding or tapping the reload key so that it always pockets instead of dropping, but the skip is gone. (Note that unload still always drops.)
  • Bugfix: manual Liberator chambering did not deplete the round from the mag.
  • Bugfix: I don't know what I was thinking, but the revenant ball's aimpoint was the top of its target plus its own height. Now it's minus its own height.
  • Bugfix: Obsolete DERP pickup actor still in one of the random spawners.
  • Bugfix: Archvile radius damage immunity also implied immunity to all grenade damage. They are no longer immune.
  • Bugfix: Separate corpse spawn meant your death view was occluded by your own corpse sprite. Now the corpse spawns 1 unit behind you - not entirely failsafe, but better than nothing.
  • Bugfix: It turned out to be a misnumbered A_Jump in the 7mm bullet code (originally never intended for monsters) that was preventing the spider mastermind from aiming vertically! Spider mastermind hilarious incompetence is no longer canon explanation for lack of close-range capability.
  • Lowered spider mastermind shot origin just a little bit. Does not solve the problem.
  • Added a flyby fwoosh for the rockets.
  • Changed the turning movement adjustment to use SetActorVelocity instead of relying on a DECORATE actionitem.
  • Reduced revenant ball deceleration, making it much less accurate.
  • Armour now greatly mitigates critical hits. Note that marine monsters are always assumed to be armoured.
  • Redid the run/walk. Now walking only caps your speed - if your other modifiers do not reduce your run to walking speeds, then your walk is unaffected, but if your modifiers take you below that, there is no functional difference.
  • Added a failsafe so that you can't permanently lock the IoS in its final long boss speech.
  • Pistols dropped by monsters now have random ammo.
  • Toned down the zerk movement a bit. Still inhumanly nuts, but we're talking about a drug that lets you punch a guy into pieces with your fist here.
  • Bullet penetration restored for deathmatch only.
  • Reduced base damage of all bullets to offset the crits.
  • Replaced some textures in the firing range for D1 compatibility.
  • Bots now have a random chance of consolidating ammo at an average of once every 1 second, instead of consolidating continuously (giving them reloadless automatic shotguns in the process).
  • Don't know where else to mention it, but here's a good deathmatch wad for HD.
  • Reduced Thunder Buster zap sound to 4 at a time, now that I've heard what it sounds like from the receiving end.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Assuming that pre-crits HD had bullet damage (excluding pellets) deal 100% damage all the time, and then the first crit system had 150% crit damage, where would this rough overall crit damage lie now since the base values are lowered?

Also wow sound like a great update. I'll sadly miss having a pet revenant rocket hat.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Right now? I think the average might actually be a bit below 100... the number reductions were more or less stream-of-consciousness as I went through the relevant DECORATE code, lol.

(Nothing seemed particularly broken during my afternoon bot-DMs though)
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Great update, glad all the reported things were fixed...though, turret fireballs going in reverse wasn't so is that cannon for them malfunctioning, or some electro magnetic field bs? In all seriousness though, that definitely needs a fix, Right now turrettes are kinda chuckle worthy, still dangerous within say, 10 yards, but outside that, completely harmless, as once the fireball hits x range, it just stops.

So, since armor negates crits, and bullet damage was lowered...is this essentially an armor buff? I'm ok with this, especially if shotgun blasts now aren't lethal against a chest plate of fresh armor. I also think 9mm, buckshot, 4mm and 7.62 should have different crit resistance levels, as obviously a 7.62 boss round right on point will still kill with kevlar, while it makes sense a 9mm slug wouldn't go through.

You know, thinking of the spider master mind got me thinking. The arachnotrons are UN-neccisarily sluggish with the close ranged spray. I have NEVER died from it, ever, and pretty much every other thing in hd has killed me several times. The arachnotron wouldn't need to stabilize as much to ensure a successful bolt since the alt fire has no bolt, and its mommy the spidermastermind is MUCH swifter on spraying despite being several times the size. And besides that, arachnotrons are literally a NON threat up close because of this, you get around a full second to dodge, and ever since the leaping left and right was added, this is even easier, not to mention walking up and beating them up is 100% possible.. Cmon, lets get that attack a little swifter, I'd think even just a third of that would be fair to be absolutely honest, and even half the delay would still work fine.

I'm going to kick myself for reporting this one, but, mini-gun can be leaped with if revved up / firing at same time, without it being lowered. I think the combined firing / reved states block the "lower when leaping" script. The effect of this is you can move around decent speed while firing, and theres no huge penalty to accuracy doing this. I wouldn't mind this happening, if it had an accuracy throw off effect, and possibility to stumble. Really, I think doing this for all guns would be kind of cool, but this is just my opinion.

One thing I would love to be worked on, is a more defined jumping / platforming deal, specifically grabbing ledges, a way to slow down after a jump, some kind of way to make ledge checks function on 3d floors, something to prevent your legs clipping a ledge making you then fall straight down (in reality, if you jumped like that and hit your legs, you would have a very unpleasant face-plant, but you wouldn't fall into the lava bellow), ect...I know this would be a lot of work, but still, a good amount of maps are made impossible for hd just because of some of these, and even just having some way to make jumps easier (temporarily make leg collision hitbox gone when mid air?) would be huge for navigation.

Revenant missles are slightly better, but honestly, what happened to the old exponential speed of the rockets? used to be way back they shot out at barely walking speed, then quickly ramped up to speed of a rockette. why the change? I honestly liked it this way, it both made them dangerous at long range while also not being too much / endlessly chasing so that really complimented hd balance, as hd ISN'T about running around and dodging most of the time. That and besides shootable rockets, revenants dont feel much different than vanilla ones now. I also notice revenant rocket will occupy the same space as one another, is this fixable without having them detonate on impact of each other? Also, do you think the exponential speed, at least some variation could apply to BIG imp fireballs?
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Damage feels ideal now, Vae.

Bug: mag drop reloads with an empty SMG spawn an additional magazine with 1 round in it on top of the empty mag.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”