Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Silentdarkness12

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated March 14, 2016 hot

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Honestly, I need the aggravated damage mechanic explained to me again.

I'm working on a full oblige megawad, and the aggravated damage is so intense that my health is permanently low, and I had to literally cheat in a soulsphere just to get a chance that could remotely, in some strange universe, be called fair.

Basically, what i'm saying is that I think some extra way to remove aggravated damage would be nice.....

EDIT: Also, what I mean by BFG cell charging, is being able to turn one cell into two, essentially. That seems to be gone now?.....
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Lethal and aggravated damage are very similar. Both are an essential "cap" on health, lowering max health by x amount of points. Normally its just one or 2, but it can get much worse.

Lethal happens from untreated injuries, or particularly nasty injuries that aren't inheritly demonic. Generally it won't happen much, and if it does, using multiple medkits can fix it..

Aggravated can be made by either horribly neglected fatal damage, or by demonic attacks (barons / knights in particular do a bit of aggravated damage). This can only be cured by super natural means, like spheres, or potions. Though prevention is better than treatment. With these in mind, hold onto potions. Another note, berserks, while they don't cure it, remove the health cap during the effects, in addition to the high regen / other stuff. So hanging onto one to briefly get over it is a good idea.

As for the bfg, it still does this, but you need to pick up / load in dead batteries with middle mouse i think. If you don't have empties, it won't magically create them, as it only creates power, not the metal / plastic batteries used to hold it.

It seems jumping or sprinting automatically turns off the minigun and chainsaw motor, oddly enough.
Lycaon

Post by Lycaon »

What the hell is wrong with this mod? it's completely unplayable lol what were you thinking? I love the concept and ideas but there are simply so many needlesly irritating things. Like why can't you look around properly when standign against a wall? Is this a joke wad?

EDIT: I don't mean to sound rude, I can see there's a lot of work put into this, but I just can't wrap my head around this mod
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Lycaon wrote:What the hell is wrong with this mod? it's completely unplayable lol what were you thinking? I love the concept and ideas but there are simply so many needlesly irritating things. Like why can't you look around properly when standign against a wall? Is this a joke wad?

EDIT: I don't mean to sound rude, I can see there's a lot of work put into this, but I just can't wrap my head around this mod
You might want to go through the OP and check out all the videos. There are some tutorials there that explain the mod pretty well.

The mod is really a completely different take on DOOM and I understand the uncomfortable nature of it, because it takes things in such a direction that most people wouldn't grasp right away due to the nature of the overall mod.

There is nothing "wrong" with it. I think you just went into it with an incorrect mindset of what you think it should have been. I really urge you to try and go through the text and videos and try it again.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Lycaon wrote:What the hell is wrong with this mod? it's completely unplayable lol what were you thinking? I love the concept and ideas but there are simply so many needlesly irritating things. Like why can't you look around properly when standign against a wall? Is this a joke wad?

Hah, seems someone needs a hideous destructor crash course..

FIRST, watch hideous destructor bootcamp videos, those are a must, at LEAST the first one.

Second, a few answers... The standing next to a wall thing is your gun bumping the wall. Ever held a rifle? they are big. If you walk up to a wall, the barrel will bump the wall, and keep you from walking forward. Also yes, some maps are impossible with this, particularly getting surrounded by zombies, as its (almost) impossible to dodge bullets in this, especially from many directions.

This mod is VERY much about pacing yourself, and carefully calculating risks. Each action you make has consequences, turning while firing will throw off aim and make recoil exponentially worse, using health packs will cause you a bit of pain, running around will exhaust you and leave you winded and trembling, everything you do MUST be balanced, you aren't a robotic cyborg who will bleed when hes done killing and can do cardio for days on end without tiring, you are a human, limited by biological function, often bogged down by the weight of the very tools your survival hinges upon, as your body struggles to perform in combat, and this is all before you get hit, and injuries throw off everything. Muscles won't work right, throbbing pains throw off aim, you stumble due to light headedness from bleeding, and general cognitive abilities deteriorate. Yes, you are weak, the demons are much stronger than you, you are outnumbered, outgunned, out muscled, and outmaneuvered. Only your planning and wits, along with whatever tools you can find will save you, because you aren't a badass killer who eats bullets for breakfast, you are a small, scared human, in a fight which is far from fair, against creatures which absolutely hate you.

Start as a rifleman, and play through a bit of doom 1, or EVILTECH. those 2 are reasonable starter wads. Keep in mind, this mod makes many maps flat impossible, so don't expect to have a chance on slaughter maps, you simply will not. Carefully take aim, and dont fire more than you can tolerate the recoil of, semi auto is much more manageable on the move, and grenade launcher rounds are good for stuff a conventional firearm is too slow or weak for.

Also, try homely difficulty, theres more spawns, but theres no carry weight, no bleed out, and you take much, much less damage. Use that to get used to the gunplay, the mechanics, inventory, ect. Once you get better, move to ugly. Then turn on bleeding / carry limit. You will slowly know your limits better, and get a feel for exactly how far you can stretch.

And of course, tweak settings per map helps. harder maps are still doable on homely with no carry limit, so flex it per map.

But mostly, practice, its compared to dark souls for a reason. Prepare to die, and if you practice using the tools given to you, you might be able to return the favor to a few demons.

By the way, just read a document somagu sent me, saw something about a fear-effect on certain things, namely the BFG....shouln't the revved up vulcanette get this too? I personally am scared as hell of chaingunners in this (even more so back when they were aimbots) so I really think monsters should panic a bit too. I mean, I can kill anything with that, even a cyberdemon if I somehow don't get shot, and small stuff like zombies or imps I don't even have to aim at, I can just sweep with it and cut them in half.
Last edited by mumblemumble on Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

I'd agree that the vulcanette should frighten things, but part of the reason it's fine for the BFG is because it takes so goddamn long to do anything. With the vulcanette, you could just flip the power on and off, and it'd require some ugly hacks to make them "build a resistance" to the barrels spinning.

Yes, Lycaon, Hideous Destructor is BORDERLINE unplayable in a lot of maps. That's part of why we love it. We're a bunch of weird masochists. But unplayable or not, it is still fun, for us at least, and balanced at least in a way that makes most maps beatable with as much effort and frustration as a NES game.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

actually, try any ammo starvation / pistol only maps if you can find them, any maps that expect you to fight with just a pistol seem pretty well possible, for the most part, assuming its not just a pile of former humans.

But the main thing to consider is cover, flanks (it takes time to turn and react, you physically CANNOT instantly turn) and target priority. Getting these down is mainly important, sure a baron might be more of a long term threat, but a jackboot with a shotgun is much more of an IMMEDIATE threat.

and yeah, I guess the vulcanette might be a bit much, but doesn't the fear thing just make them more likely to run / shoot inaccurately? This wouldn't be THAT huge of a buff to the vulc, right? Maybe even make a secondary fear effect that is like the current, but more along the lines of "shoot wildly and run", which could be applied to on-hit effects for monsters, and hearing the chaingun being active.

Also, shouldn't the vulcanette get an idle sound when reved? its a bit....odd...to hear the chaingun rev, then silence until turned off. Especially when pinned by a chaingunner...
Arek_PL

Post by Arek_PL »

hideous destructor is not that hard, most traps are so oboivus and most of them can be easily passed by using well timed grenades, ieds and robots or just one lucky bfg shoot
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Are you trolling? Joke mod? Do you even understand how the mod's supposed to work? It's right there in the OP. :|
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Oh i don't think hes trolling, i just think he heard of hd, downloaded and tried it with 0 research. I myself thought hd was kinda shitty when i first tried it. "why am i so slow? Why can't i handle any recoil? Why does getting shot cripple me? Why am i on fire?"

Many changes take getting used to.

Say vae, have you considered a sort of boot camp level, ala half life opposing force? I would help you do this if you provided codes for spawning specific items(and maybe someone could give me help with acs for stuff like tutorial messages, and scripting) , and I think a boot camp course, with shooting range, obstacle course, ect, might be a really good tutorial. Just organize tests to get someone used to the mechanics, like sprinting, leaping, mantleing, bracing, injurey recovery, ect, just to give people bare bones training at first.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

mumblemumble wrote:
As for the bfg, it still does this, but you need to pick up / load in dead batteries with middle mouse i think. If you don't have empties, it won't magically create them, as it only creates power, not the metal / plastic batteries used to hold it.
Middle Mouse, no good. Does not do anything for me. Then again, my middle mouse never works.

EDIT: Zoom key.....should have guessed....
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

faslrn wrote:There is nothing "wrong" with it.
This is the biggest most bald-faced lie I've read on this entire thread. :V
mumblemumble wrote:By the way, just read a document somagu sent me, saw something about a fear-effect on certain things, namely the BFG....shouln't the revved up vulcanette get this too? I personally am scared as hell of chaingunners in this (even more so back when they were aimbots) so I really think monsters should panic a bit too. I mean, I can kill anything with that, even a cyberdemon if I somehow don't get shot, and small stuff like zombies or imps I don't even have to aim at, I can just sweep with it and cut them in half.
I've thought of that, and it's part of the reason why the rev-up sound alerts them, but scared monsters tend to run directly away from you rather than away from where you're aiming, and running away actually makes it much easier for you to shoot multiple targets since you don't have to turn as far - getting into close range and shooting first is the best way to exploit the Vulc's one weakness. Bigger stuff, if they shoot first then they'll kill or at least very seriously injure you before they die at worst, at best you'd actually get away and buy them a couple seconds to attack you again since it takes so long to brace the gun. The BFG ball, meanwhile, can kill everyone in its way even after you're dead and/or gone.

Anyway, um, I don't think we can expect a new update this coming Monday - my afternoons and evenings this weekend are pretty much blocked off for various major yearly things.

That said, on my to-do log I do have an outline for something like this:
Say vae, have you considered a sort of boot camp level, ala half life opposing force? I would help you do this if you provided codes for spawning specific items(and maybe someone could give me help with acs for stuff like tutorial messages, and scripting) , and I think a boot camp course, with shooting range, obstacle course, ect, might be a really good tutorial. Just organize tests to get someone used to the mechanics, like sprinting, leaping, mantleing, bracing, injurey recovery, ect, just to give people bare bones training at first.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Vaecrius wrote:
faslrn wrote:There is nothing "wrong" with it.
This is the biggest most bald-faced lie I've read on this entire thread. :V
mumblemumble wrote:By the way, just read a document somagu sent me, saw something about a fear-effect on certain things, namely the BFG....shouln't the revved up vulcanette get this too? I personally am scared as hell of chaingunners in this (even more so back when they were aimbots) so I really think monsters should panic a bit too. I mean, I can kill anything with that, even a cyberdemon if I somehow don't get shot, and small stuff like zombies or imps I don't even have to aim at, I can just sweep with it and cut them in half.
I've thought of that, and it's part of the reason why the rev-up sound alerts them, but scared monsters tend to run directly away from you rather than away from where you're aiming, and running away actually makes it much easier for you to shoot multiple targets since you don't have to turn as far - getting into close range and shooting first is the best way to exploit the Vulc's one weakness. Bigger stuff, if they shoot first then they'll kill or at least very seriously injure you before they die at worst, at best you'd actually get away and buy them a couple seconds to attack you again since it takes so long to brace the gun. The BFG ball, meanwhile, can kill everyone in its way even after you're dead and/or gone.

Anyway, um, I don't think we can expect a new update this coming Monday - my afternoons and evenings this weekend are pretty much blocked off for various major yearly things.

That said, on my to-do log I do have an outline for something like this:
I have hair thank you :lol:
Lycaon

Post by Lycaon »

TheMightyHeracross wrote:

Are you trolling? Joke mod? Do you even understand how the mod's supposed to work? It's right there in the OP. :|
Look I'm sorry if I gave that impression but I was honestly lost when playing this, I did watch a couple vids but none of them gave the impression this would so... stumbly. All I could think while playing it for the first time is that this mod was oriented at annoying the player by making the gameplay as ridiculously hard as possible, with trolling features like being crippled when stumbling upon a wall. I didn't let it cool off and posted right away after getting frustrated, sorry about that.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Don't sweat it,this mod has a LOT to it, and its really, really unforgiving to newbies. As for crippling against walls...I don't quite understand. Are you already injured, and are stepping in weird directions? this is from being lightheaded, swaying a bit / hobbling from injuries, and occasionally losing balance / falling slightly in that direction. If at full health, you hear a click noise near a wall and get pushed back, that is the gun bumping the wall, and moving you because of it. If you run full speed into a wall, and get injured, this is stupidity =P Seriously though, running into walls full speed can kill you. Even more funny is back when the archviles did a disc of repulsion effect, they could instagib you upclose with it, since the sudden acceleration crushed your body.

But one thing to keep in mind, this mod has become MUCH easier than what it was. dodging used to not exist in its current form, chain-gunners used to have INSANE accuracy, like, instakill across the map (!), cyber-demons used to shoot like an old western quick-draw cowboy with rockets, archviles used to force push you into walls to instakill you, archvile FLAME spirits used to homing carpet bomb you, sprinting was made more effective, the ultra-lite cannon was worse before, bandaging didn't always exist (yes, if you had no medkits and bled, you were going to have a long, sad, dragged out death) TB didn't always have the alt fire, and I THINK apparently ninja pirates used to spit acid, I heard slydir say once? (I really would like to see that, actually) and probably other stuff I'm forgetting. In short, the HD of today is much, much more forgiving than what it used to be.

Also vae, I'd like to cooperate on the map, if you would allow...let me know if you already have a planned layout, or not, or I can just make a draft for a sort of baracks.

.... If it wasn't for the size limit you want to keep, id suggest using slydirs voice for the bootcamp drill Sergent :D

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”