Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
mumblemumble

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated January 25, 2016]

Post by mumblemumble »

Its a shame your update (seems) to have the new weapon system in place but also can't unload. So close but so far from a perfect system. By the way, why is hold use to pick up all being removed? Because the new weapon system? I personally will miss it, and it will break the totally legitimate feature of holding e to overload beyond capacity, which was very helpful in certain situations. I hope we keep a way to carry beyond optimal weight, because otherwise its a borderline reduction in total carry weight.

Also, what exactly did you change with the robots? (not sure i count med stations as robots though)
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

...you just reminded me that the new pickup system doesn't even check for encumbrance before letting you carry things. Given what you've described, though, I think I'll leave it as is.

The robots are just going to be converted to the new system, which means that they'll have their own internal ammo/battery counts instead of always monitoring what's on the player.

While this does allow for multiple deployments of the same robot from the same player without all of them drawing from the same ammo pool, it would not allow for carrying multiple types of the same robot at a time, since the ammo count has to be stored somewhere after a robot is picked up and removed from the playsim.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Some of my spoopies are stuck beating up on the decoration that spits fire when you hit it.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

I forget if this was implemented already, but players beating the shit out of you should help put out fires

[edit] Sorry for double post. Legit request though since every second counts when you're on fire! By the time someone's jabbed you with a medkit, you might already be too crispy!
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

That should probably be fixed, or screwed up in a totally different way, in this NEW UPDATE! which thanks to a whole bunch of stuff (including what's in the link) I, uh, can't release this week either because I've just barely started the unloading stuff. -_-
Big C

Post by Big C »

Take your time.

Also, your new custom title made me giggle.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Its not nice to tease us about a new update when there isn't one vae.

As for needing more time its fine, but you better have it next week =p
wizardful

Post by wizardful »

My friend brought up a good point when we were playing in co-op.

If having many weapons weighs you down, you should be able to pick up ammo on the ground instead of picking up the weapon entirely. For example, say you'd like to only have a the pump shotgun or a super shotgun, you can't pick shells up from the floor that Former Sergeants drop without picking up the weapon too.

Another idea I'd like to propose is reloading the SSG. If you only have one shell when you reload it ejects the other, it's pretty tedious to pick it up sometimes. Couldn't you hold reload to keep the unspent shell, like the way you keep partially spent magazines for other weapons?

Oh and one other thing before I forget. Sometimes random enemies will be resurrected, I'm not sure what the mechanics are in place for that (I suspect it must be those floating green particles) but wouldn't it be cool if you could chainsaw a dead enemy to prevent them from being resurrected?

I don't know if these ideas have been suggested before so I'm sorry if they have. I really enjoy this mod, keep up the good work.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

If you're in good health (like above 40% I think) and are standing still/moving really slowly, unspent shells will be caught and put back into the gun, causing nothing valuable to fall to the ground.

Yep, the floating green particles are called frag shards (vile shards sound cooler but it's for the archvile's death special effects) revive stuff. Bigger monsters take more to properly revive. Chainsawing in fact does help keep them from reviving, a bit. Basically, anything gib-able (zombies, imps, and babuins) take one shard to revive, and take two if they are gibbed, since the power of one shard is required to turn gibs back into a body.

You'll likely like (good wordplay tbh) the new update in the works, as it will add a lot more technical control to how things are handled. Not a problem when playing with the standard vanilla doom 1-per-weapon game mode, but in carry limit mode, I can see your point. Perhaps the unload weapon (for guns you're already holding) command for the next update could double as a weapon unloading tool when you're equipped with nothing/fists. Would save a second selecting the gun from your inventory then dropping it. Then again, if your only concern is getting the ammo out of it, then unload will do what you want. Takes a bit of time to get ammo that way, which I like.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Yes, unloading will take care of that issue. It would also take some time to unload each weapon, so it could be a bit tedious compared to the old days.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Here's a thought, will unloading be necessary to reload? Ie, unloading a zm66 mag, reloading a new one? Or is that too much?
StatisticalHourglass

Post by StatisticalHourglass »

Noone asked for my opinion, but I think that's a bit much, maybe the mod is getting a little bit out of hand?
even moving around feels waay slow compared to the old versions, i like the complex interactions but I also like them practical. for example it would be nice if picked up shells instantly went to the side saddles if they aren't full already.
just stuff that would make gameplay more intuitive that's all.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

The slow movement is exclusively because of the slowdown on "steps". Pretty much any ledge higher than a couple units (ie, ankle high) cuts your movement speed almost in half, meaning stairs, rubble, or anything not an even floor will cripple movement .

I personally modify the file so the walk down / up modifiers are almost nothing, but id like to flat remove it, as its way too finicky, and more often than not cripples you. And i don't even think monster's have this issue.

Id love to flat out remove this feature, but not sure what to remove

And always state your opinion, even if others disagree.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

I personally like the slowing feature only because you have the option of leaping through it, sacrificing braking power for saving time. Basically it should be your go to choice when you know the steps don't end in an abyss fall/pit of acid. Also when you don't have to immediately fight anything at the bottom/top or along the slide.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”