Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated January 26, 2015]

Post by Matt »

@LG: That sounds like what was happening before my latest attempt to fix. Are you using the latest version?
(Automap message will be fixed on next update.)

@Big C: I think I might've forgotten to mention it in the updates, but now if you pick up a backpack with encumbrance disabled you get a random item.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Ooooh, that works!
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Vaecrius wrote:@LG: That sounds like what was happening before my latest attempt to fix. Are you using the latest version?
Sure am. Oh, and the keys too, since they're still the same from before.

I personally haven't noticed the backpack give more "blocks" (I've never heard of this unit of measurement before in my life) so the player could carry roughly one extra weapon. The high ammo cap the backpack gives though is quite nice; do you think the backpack can give non-carry-limit players a watered down effect in addition to the random item? Like 48 pocket shells, 9 4mm mags, 9 batteries etc.
Arek_PL

Post by Arek_PL »

Lava Grunt wrote:
Vaecrius wrote:@LG: That sounds like what was happening before my latest attempt to fix. Are you using the latest version?
Sure am. Oh, and the keys too, since they're still the same from before.

I personally haven't noticed the backpack give more "blocks" (I've never heard of this unit of measurement before in my life) so the player could carry roughly one extra weapon. The high ammo cap the backpack gives though is quite nice; do you think the backpack can give non-carry-limit players a watered down effect in addition to the random item? Like 48 pocket shells, 9 4mm mags, 9 batteries etc.
too much shells, only 12 more will be enought because 24 more sheels feel unfair to 3 more mags for each weapon

alslo blocks is not only wierd unit what you meet in mods for games, imagine mili buckets (mB) where 1 bucket of water is 1000 mB of water
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Look at how many shells he can carry with the backpack in carry mode, much higher than 48. It needs something other than just a random item (that can be lackluster at times too, sometimes just being a medikit.) Perhaps two things? It is a large, military-grade backpack after all.

Could the AOE repulsion thing the archvile does just be pain based rather than giving you damage? He's just too over-powered in tight maps, and if you're alert and skilled enough to nick him before he roasts you at any close range, you shouldn't be punished for succeeding in doing so. If you made him inflict pain that's akin to say, falling 300 map units, then I can see him being more fair. Kind of like an exorcism type reaction; leaves him reeling and temporarily exhausted; easy picking for other monsters to finish the job, but not an issue when you're alone and (from everything but him) secure.

EDIT: To clarify, I meant the pain would be akin to exhaustion pain from falling a good distance without any wounding or damage.
Last edited by Abba Zabba on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arek_PL

Post by Arek_PL »

Yea archville in close range is op even with berserk pack is realy hard to kill him in small rooms and map makers like to place them in close range and in small room
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Oh, and the keys too, since they're still the same from before.
o_O

All the key \cg's have been replaced with \cl's as of the Jan 26 version. If you don't see any difference then either something is wrong with ZDoom's font colour handling or you are using the wrong version.

I'll look into the archvile explosion, given how that (or the threat thereof) seems more likely to kill you than anything the archvile actually does.

Given the way backpacks are handled in Doom, it's all or nothing. The current backpack amounts are based on how much I think you could stuff into an empty backpack, while the encumbrance limit does the rest. Backpacks have, by design, no effect on your ability to carry weapons.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

They could use side straps to tether a couple small arms too, but the biggest thing is giving it a bit more in normal play.

And about the key messages still being red...I remember going into the most recent version of HD and removing the bits that colored them (not the key's color, but the rest of the message that was red.) I'll download the most recent version again and make sure that it's still present.

EDIT: Yep. Same kind of deal for all 6 keys (before I modified them)
Matt

Post by Matt »

Can you show me one of those lines after you modified them? I don't see how what's there could be causing the font to turn red unless the red was the default colour.

Also, can you take that version you've just downloaded and try the weapon drop thing with that? I simply do not see that happening.

EDIT: Apparently \cl's "original colour" is red, while \c- would turn it to white like a normal log. Meanwhile, I can't find a setting that would emulate a pickup message, i.e. red on the screen and white in the console. I suppose I'll err in favour of log message as the intent is that this would show up even for people who didn't pick up the key themselves.

EDIT2: Still can't replicate the drop-switch-dropagain problem. You're not, like, manually switching weapons before the sequence has finished, are you?
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Has to be, as waiting now for the "full cycle" to complete makes it work normally. I remember it happening more with the 9mm weapons and 7mm weapons, due to the fact that it takes a moment for it too spill all the loose stuff by which time I would have already hit a next/previous weapon key or a weapon number key. Thanks for clarifying.

If were to max out exhaustion/pain from the archvile's freak out moment while also getting rid of the damage, how would we do it? Radius_Quake only seems to dish raw HP damage, so other than some hacky custom fast projectile that could probably be exploited a good deal of the time by hugging walls, I have no idea on how it could be done. Unless you could add some other effects onto the quake. Speaking of which, how is pain and exhaustion handled exactly?

EDIT: Another thing that's worth mentioning, shootable switches and walls that (seemingly) affect more than one sector don't activate right when hit with HD's special fast projectiles. As you can see on Katamori's video, the switch that's revealed by shooting the other switches fast enough will lower the two revenant pillars and open the door at 9:56. However, shooting the switch with any fast projectile weapon makes it only perform one function, which is lowering the revenant pillars. A bit later on when I was lucky enough to get a Thunder Buster, I came back to the switch and hit it with that, since it's hitscan. The door at 9:56 opened then. Restarted the map and shot the switch with just the TB. Both functions were performed. (G)Z bug?
Derek Larp

Post by Derek Larp »

Haven't played HD for a while now and I must say I love all the new stuff and improvements. The encumbrance systems takes the survival feel to the next level and I'm starting to get System Shock 1 vibes, which is really awesome. HD takes one of my all time favorite games and turns it into one of, if not the best contemporary hardcore FPS experience on PC. You're doing an awesome job Vaecrius! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Ehm, just wanted to get that off my chest.

Carry on.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Lava Grunt wrote:EDIT: Another thing that's worth mentioning, shootable switches and walls that (seemingly) affect more than one sector don't activate right when hit with HD's special fast projectiles. As you can see on Katamori's video, the switch that's revealed by shooting the other switches fast enough will lower the two revenant pillars and open the door at 9:56. However, shooting the switch with any fast projectile weapon makes it only perform one function, which is lowering the revenant pillars. A bit later on when I was lucky enough to get a Thunder Buster, I came back to the switch and hit it with that, since it's hitscan. The door at 9:56 opened then. Restarted the map and shot the switch with just the TB. Both functions were performed. (G)Z bug?
I can find the switches, but I can't tell from watching the vid which door "the door at 9:56" is. (I found this to be an extremely confusing map, btw.) The one I think it is, which can be reached by noclipping, moving into the gap between you and the switches and going left, won't open no matter what weapon I hit the switches with. Which door is supposed to open? Can you post a picture of the automap showing where it is?
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

The one here that leads to the yellow key. Starting the map over and hitting it with a hitscan attack (thunder buster, but I suppose mdk would work as well) made the two pillars lower AND open the door. Even on the same instance where I had repeatedly hit the switch with just fast projectiles, hitting it once with the TB made the door open.

Also, the shotgun dropping bug is happening again. Definitely when you have both types and you drop just the pump-action, which will pause for a short moment and then drop the break-action in the same, single key press. Which leads me to believe the pistol drop that also drops the pump-action is still there too. Only thing I can guess is Doom's automatic weapon switch playing a part; it seems to instantly go to the fists like it should, but then it equips the next in line weapon and drops that too for some reason.

Oh, and another great map that plays well with HD, Botanic Biosphere.
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated February 2, 2015]

Post by Matt »

Just tried loading HD now, cheated to get the Doom chaingun, noclipped to that spot, shot those switches, and... pillars go down, nothing happens to door. Script number conflict possibly?

...and it doesn't open in vanilla either. o_O

EDIT: Just tried with no IWADs loaded and that door does not open after I hit those switches.

EDIT2: Which means whatever is causing it is not fixed this NEW UPDATE! which I am going to post now because the next thing I want to do is going to take more testing than I am willing to spend on one Sunday evening.

Changes:
  • Bugfix: Fence in the firing range was glitched in software mode. Got off my lazy ass (well, really got down on my lazy ass) and defined a proper texture for it.
  • Bugfix: Map revealer left a blank slot in the usable inventory, and forced a red pickup message.
  • Key pickup messages now use log and print colours.
  • Archvile explosion damage type set to Thermal rather than normal.
  • Replaced a bunch of inventory.undroppable flags with inventory.untossable so I can use ClearInventory etc.
  • Split the ACS into multiple files.
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated February 2, 2015]

Post by Matt »

I'm thinking of redoing the hd_purge and hd_drop commands, as what's there now is a bit of an unreliable and unmaintainable kludge.

Would it be more acceptable if hd_purge, instead of purging everything you had except your currently equipped weapon and its ammo and an arbitrary set of items I think you "should" keep, it just ditched everything you had no weapon for? Drop could then cover everything you do have a weapon for and also drop various usables for "weapons" that are not really weapons (e.g., injector drops healing items, unarmed drops all other items).

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”