Welcome. A few weeks ago I decided to undertake a project that's been stirring in my head for a while: A (G)ZDoom-based Doom RPG which can be easily played with the vanilla IWADs and PWAD map packs. I first searched around to see if this had already been done, and I found a few bits here and there, but nothing as extensive as I had wanted to implement. So I decided it was time to take matters into my own hands, and after a few weeks worth of work, and replaying Doom 1 and 2 far more than I ever have before, this is what I have for you: my Doom RPG.
- A Level-up and stat system, allowing you to customize the properties of your character for your own playstyle
- A currency system, Credits, which are dropped by monsters when killed
- A Rank system with regular payouts of Credits, higher rank yields a better payout, rank increases as you kill monsters
- A combo system which will increase your experience and rank gain as you kill more monsters in fast succession
- A skill system with various skills including healing, buffs, projectiles, summons and general utility skills, more are being added
- A shop where you can use your credits to buy weapons, ammo and supplies
- Many inventory items now exist, including tiered health restoration items and re-done and new armor types
- 2 new HUDs to show new information such as level, rank, EP, combo counters, powerup timers, and more (and the mugshot, of course )
- Items are now randomized and varied
- Runes which will give you temporary bonuses for a short time
- Different types of explosive barrels which do varying amounts of specific kinds of damage
- Various cosmetic improvements (optional)
I've tried my best to keep the HUDs scaled on all screen resolutions, but suffice to say I'm sure there are some that will still muck it up. I developed the HUDs with scaling active (I have vision problems) so I need some feedback how it looks on more exotic or higher resolutions.
There are now 2 HUDs available for use, one more compacted then the other. It's up to use which one you would like to use. You can change the HUD type by using the plus and minus keys.
Health remains largely the same. You may increase your maximum health by putting points into the Vitality stat.
- Stimpack - +10 Health
- Small Medikit - +25 Health
- Medium Medikit - +50 Health
- Large Medikit - +100 Health
- Extra-Large Medikit - +250 Health
- Med-Pack - +500 Health
- Mega Med-Pack - +750 Health
- Surgery Kit - +1000 Health
- Soulsphere - +100 Health (Up to 2000)
- Atomic Health - +200 Health (Up to 2000)
- Continue - Resurrection on 0 health
Armor has been re-done to a certain extent. Green and blue armor still exist, but their absorption amounts have been reduced to make room for the new yellow, red and white armor types. As well as these, each color of armor also has a used variant which are occasionally dropped by monsters. These have the same absorption amount, but half the original's durability. Armor bonuses will increase your current armor type's durability by 5, up to a maximum of 1000. When your current set of armor is depleted, the highest tier you have available will automatically be applied.
- Green - 10% Absorption, 100 Durability
- Blue - 25% Absorption, 250 Durability
- Yellow - 50% Absorption, 500 Durability
- Red - 75% Absorption, 750 Durability
- White - 100% Absorption, 1000 Durability
All vanilla powerups remain, but some have been improved, and others have a more powerful variant. Invulnerability's ColorMap has been changed from inverse to gold, because I hate the inverse effect .
- Invulnerability Sphere - Invulnerability
- Invulnerability Charge - Invulnerability and projectile reflection
- Invisibility Sphere - Partial invisibility
- Invisibility Charge - Total invisibility
- Time Sphere - Freezes the world for a short period of time
- Radiation Suit - Protects you from damage sectors
- IR Goggles - Lights up the area
- Computer Map - Gives you a map of the level, as well as a built-in scanning system to detect pickups and enemies
- Berserk Pack - 2x melee damage multiplier for the current level
Runes are rare auto-use items occasionally dropped by monsters which give the player special abilities for 1 minute. Runes are stripped at the end of each level.
- Strength Rune - Double strength
- Rage Rune - Double firing speed
- Drain Rune - Drain enemies health
- Endless Rune - Infinite Ammo
- Resistence Rune - Half incoming damage
- Regeneration Rune - Regenerate 5 health a second
- Fright Rune - Monsters sometimes run away
- Ghost Rune - Partially invisible and some projectiles pass through
- High Jump Rune - Increased jump height
- Haste Rune - Increased movement speed
Level, Rank & Combo System
You will begin the game at level 0 and the lowest rank. By killing monsters, this will increase both your experience and rank. As you reach higher levels, your combo will become more useful and you will be able to gain much more experience and rank points from successive and fast kills. Increasing levels will reward you with 1-5 stat tokens to spend on your stats, or automatically increase 1-5 stats if you're playing with randomization enabled. Each increase of rank level with give a +5% discount at the shop. The maximum level is 100 and there are 25 ranks, ranging from Private to Master Seargent Major of the Marine Corps.
The stat system allows you to configure the characteristics of the Doomguy as he levels up. There are 9 stats, each one effecting different characteristics. Stats are increased with Stat Tokens. When you level up, you are given between 1-5 stat tokens to assign where you want, or you may choose to have stats automatically assigned and tokens to be automatically used. Tokens may also occasionally spawn as pickups and may be bought from the store for a high price. Stats may be increased to their soft cap of 100 with tokens. After this point, they may be increased up to the hard cap of 200 using special accessories and items. (I haven't started the Accessories yet, btw)
- Strength - Increases the damage you deal to enemies
- Defense - Decreases the damage you take from all enemies and damage types
- Proficiency - Gives you extra XP/Rank bonuses for killing enemies
- Agility - Increases your movement speed and jump height
- Vitality - Increases your maximum health
- Energy - Increases your maximum EP
- Regeneration - Increases the regeneration rate of your health and EP
- Capacity - Increases the maximum carrying capacity of all ammo types
- Luck - Increases your survival bonus, among other things...
Skills are abilities which use EP, or Energy Points. There are many skills, some of which will initially be unusable until you reach the proper level and maximum EP amount to afford to use them. You can see a description of the skill and it's EP cost while switching to it.
- Lesser Healing
- Greater Healing
- Mega Healing
- Invulnerability +
- Bullet Time
- Fireball 2
- Fireball 3
- Ice Missile
- Summon Unarmed Marine
- Summon Berserk Marine
- Summon Pistol Marine
- Summon Shotgun Marine
- Summon Super Shotgun Marine
- Summon Chaingun Marine
- Summon Rocket Launcher Marine
- Summon Plasma Rifle Marine
- Summon Railgun Marine
- Summon BFG 9000 Marine
- Summon Chainsaw Marine
- Breakdown Armor
- Doom 1's episodes have been streamlined. You can still start on whichever episode you choose, but finishing E1M8 for example will not end the game, you will continue to E2M1, and etc.
- There are several new keys created for the purpose of using the skill system. Make sure you define them in the controls menu.
- I have re-tooled the skill levels, there are now 7 ranging from extremely easy to ridiculously brutal. There should be a skill level for every kind of player here.
- The ending of E1M8 is a little problematic with the damage sector. You may need to drop all your healing items before you enter the final area or you will be in there for a while. I haven't thought of a good way to deal with this yet, unfortunately. Suggestions?
- Due to limitations, when first running you may need to restore your options to default then exit and reload ZDoom. This is because there is no way to Initialize CVARs on game load. IF there's a way around this, I haven't found it yet.
I have included Z86's SBrightmaps.pk3 in order to make things look prettier. I have also included a modified version of DecemberMan's Cosmetic Doom to spruce up the game.
Credits & Thanks
I'd like to thank Lord Misfit, Serious Cacodemon and Ryan Cordell for helping me test this thing and waste countless hour slaughtering things to find bugs for me.
If you have any suggestions for skills, items, powerups, etc or constructive criticism, I'd love to hear it. If you find any bugs or issues, please post them so I can fix them as quickly as possible. I'm also very open to skill ideas, because the list right now is pretty sparse and I'd love to add more.
Latest Update - v0.73
Added more customization of the stat system including whether to randomize your starting stats only or all stats and whether or not to automatically use stat tokens given on level-up. There is now also an option to scale XP/Rank bonuses with the tougher difficulty levels. Respawning is now an option (for monsters and barrels). And of course, the usual typos and bugfixes.
A small update because I completely forgot that my random stat increase function could break the soft stat cap.
Just a small update to address Options not saving. Moved them from an ACS array to CVARs instead. Also typos.
Holy, where do I even BEGIN with this one . Well, The main addition in this version is the stat system I've been working on for the past day and a bit (more details above). The shop is no longer a skill, and has been given it's own key, and also takes no EP to open now (for now, I'm still debating whether this should be how to handle the shop). The menus can now be closed with the same key that opened them, lots of bugfixes, summoning skill EP cost changes, and other things I can't remember.
Nothing fancy, just made a few minor under-the-hood adjustments such as completely getting rid of using script numbers in favor of named scripts and separated the cosmetic stuff into it's own PK3 for those who just want the RPG with none of the graphical pizazz. Oh, and now your skill selection for each catagory will be remembered, this should alleviate some scrolling through the skills now.
Did a whole crapton of stuff. Runes have been toned down to 1 minute and are no longer stackable. DamageFactor has been scaled down majorly from 10x to 2x at max level. Doomguy now starts with 3/4th's his normal damage to help balance out levelling. Levelling now effects your movement speed and jumping height as well. I created a new HUD which may be preferred by some as the other was said to be cluttered up a bit. The new HUD is now assigned to fullscreen view and the old one to statusbar view. Renamed ranks to match enlisted Marines ranks. reduced the max discount you get at the shop to make Credits a little more useful late-game from 95% to 50%. Probably some other stuff I forgot about as well. Finally, I added a strife-style status box you can toggle with the strife status key. It looks kinda crappy, but I needed somewhere to put the current/total ammo amounts since I knew someone was eventually going to ask for them.
FINALLY fixed the damn skill projectile code. Now the projectile skills are actually useful and usable.
This version is really just me nuking lots of old useless code and re-writing the randomizers to use RandomSpawner instead of the crazy state mess I was using before.
Changed the Combo HUD a bit. before the combo ends, the green number will represent the initial XP/Rank you gain from the monsters you've killed during your combo, once the combo time is over, the lower white and yellow numbers will show the final total being added to your XP and rank with the combo bonus applied. Also forgot to add the Computer Map to the shop, derp.
YOU WILL NEED THE LATEST SVN VERSION OF ZDOOM OR GZDOOM TO RUN THIS MOD!
--> DOWNLOAD <--