Iron Assault Remake (Demo Update 2.5)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lagi

Re: Iron Assault Remake (Demo Released!)

Post by Lagi »

Awesome! this is something different.

my impressions:
- the car on roads really improve overall feeling.
- tanks and rocket launchers are great touch.
- destroying environment is great! but it should be easier to do, they are too tough! i expect building to collapse as collateral damage, from missed rockets.
- locking mechanism is nice! to bad the missiles dont home on target. Not sure what benefit locking on target give.
- it feels odd when i run out of rockets, and there is no ammo pickups :)

- controlling the mech feel too much like playing Doom. Its different. But the emphasise on controlling big crude machine should be bigger.

- there should be more of positioning, taking good position to lock target. BANG BANG target down. Currently its about taking corners, rockets to the chest, go back behind corner.

- turning time should be longer. You could look as fast as now. but the top part of mech with weapons, should slower turn around. Same for the enemy mech. this would also increase importance of locking on targets.

- dog is ok, walker feel more like human than machine.

- why standing in water dont cool down heating?

--------
honestly what i write above could be a nonsense. I never play a mech game before, except Warring Suns but that was hexgame.
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

This demo was very enjoyable on my end, it certainly has me interested in the full release, but I do have some personal stuff to point out:
Spoiler:
That's about it. I don't play that many mech games, so I don't really care about the physics and all that. Hopefully this won't get canned.
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Captain J wrote:About darn time. I'm playing this right now and it's super amusing and something new. Gotta send you some feedback!
I await your report. o7
Lagi wrote: ...
- locking mechanism is nice! to bad the missiles dont home on target. Not sure what benefit locking on target give.
- why standing in water dont cool down heating?
Of course it's all perfectly valid criticism.
I want to specifically address these points:
1. There is only 1 guided missile in the game currently, and that is the ROTAK.
2. This is on the TODO, I just have to figure out a way to do it that doesn't have a lot of mapping overhead in terms of scripting and stuff like that.
QuakedoomNukem Cz wrote:...The buildings take way too much beating to take down, it made me lose the first mission when I played with DOG II's default loadout.
Which also correlates to this next issue, there should be a warning regarding ammo supply, like the last mission has. Would've been cool if you could get small amount from the mechs...
In mission ammo resupply is something that is also planned, but I'm not sure how exactly I want to do it yet.

In the meantime, you can do damage to buildings and enemies by simply walking into them. You can finish the mission even if you run dry :)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Still playing this mod now and it's really great! Feels like every mech in this TC feels like has bigger size, heavier weight. It's really nice to have TC with actual campaign and a mech, but of course that doesn't mean it has some flaws. Here are some feedback i'd like to share:

- So armor system exists. The color changes to green, red and then black. Red means low health and black means... Obviously a FUBAR. But just showing the color doesn't mean we easily can understand how long the armor will last. We need some kind of bar or numbers to indicate the exact health value.

- So about the first mission... It's actually quite hard and take more than just an effort to beat it. First, the enemies react much faster than you and the projectiles are unbelievably fast. Even missiles in this game are so fast and i don't know why. Second, Is their headquarter made out of super concrete? The building's texture takes 2 guided missiles to be destroyed. Third, are the enemies in the first missions keep spawning? Feels like they're multiplying.

Oh, also fun fact: you REALLY don't have to destroy the whole building. Just shoot 4 satellite dishes at the top and then we are done. That's... Nicely deceiving.

- I also agree that adding ammo or repair items around the map might be life saving. Because of the arming limitation, you always have to give up on having too much ammo.

- I know it's unfinished, but the player's sprite is invisible in third person. Even the death animation isn't there.

- Speaking of which, when you get killed, Obituary displays that i died... Somehow. It does not explain whatever killed me.

- I actually turned on the Bulletpuff Type to Sprites & Particles and my mech would spawn a lot of particles when i stand still or lean against something.

- Night Vision feature is really great and useful. But the sound effects are missing and seems does not worn off despite i turned it on like for 5 minutes.

- So i see some small tanks and robots attacking me. I would like to trample them but it seems doesn't work, maybe? The walls collapse when i walk over them but this one is like taking forever.

Funny because i'm a big fan of some strategy mech series called Front Mission and this TC somehow reminded me of that. The weight system, sidearms with ammo, separated parts with own health... It's like that game but in first person. I really would like to see more of this. Keep it up!

Btw, my favorite is double LPAC. Feels like i'm a goddamn newtype after i take down the target in two hits.
Last edited by Captain J on Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Captain J wrote:...
Oh, also fun fact: you REALLY don't have to destroy the whole building. Just shoot 4 satellite dishes at the top and then we are done. That's... Nicely deceiving...
:lol: how did I miss this? This is 100% unintended. You don't even have to destroy them all, just one.

As for the rest of that stuff, I'll throw it onto my list.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Finally managed to beat the demo, woooo!
Honestly, the first mission was the most difficult one, because by that time I was experimenting with loadouts before settling for one that I found most viable for me. (Autocannons all the way!)

My only gripe with it, aside the building toughness and the inability to crush small tanks as they were mentioned before, was:
Spoiler: Mission 3 spoilers (kinda)
But once again, the demo was incredibly fun to play through and I can't wait for the full version!
I absolutely love the ability to customize your mech, not only with weapons, but also with modules and armor.

Considering all demo mechs were light class, I can't wait to see some heavy ones in the full version!
Granted, I'm unfamiliar with the Iron Assault game, so I don't know what mechs and weapons to expect, so I hope to be positively surprised with it! :D
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Jarewill wrote:...
But once again, the demo was incredibly fun to play through and I can't wait for the full version!
I absolutely love the ability to customize your mech, not only with weapons, but also with modules and armor.

Considering all demo mechs were light class, I can't wait to see some heavy ones in the full version!
Granted, I'm unfamiliar with the Iron Assault game, so I don't know what mechs and weapons to expect, so I hope to be positively surprised with it!
Thanks. Re: the railgun issues, that weapon was added last minute. I balanced it against the LPAC, without even thinking about the fact it goes in a medium slot and not a small one. So a buff is most definitely due.

This is why public demos are good! So far a lot of what's been pointed out are issues that I became desensitized to, even though they were more or less out in the open.

As a general note, the next version of the demo will nerf building hitpoints and increase stomping/ramming damage against small targets. I will likely also dial enemy aggression in just a little bit, or give the player some kind of minor built in damage resistance.
ReformedJoe

Re: Iron Assault Remake (Demo 1.02)

Post by ReformedJoe »

Updated Demo
This update includes a few quality of life improvements and some balance changes. As well, the player damage system has been overhauled to make the player mechs more in line with their NPC versions. Another pretty significant change is the addition of per mission difficulty levels. Right now these just scale the damage that you take.

See changelog for more information.

Anyway, if there aren't any major issues this will be the last release for a while. I've implemented changes based on the suggestions you guys have given me, but if there's something you suggested which didn't make the cut it doesn't mean I have rejected it. It just means that a change which might appear simple on a surface level actually requires quite a bit more work under the hood.

The next big project is reexporting the projects graphics in a more vibrant palette (as per previous suggestions).

Download:
Spoiler:
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Hey, that's really nice! Today's version looks clean, tidy and a lot more elaborate now. Thanks for the update.

And i just noticed that i can set the difficulty before starting the mission. So if i set the difficulty to bogus and clear all the available objectives, can i get a lot more cool stuff or something?
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Captain J wrote:Hey, that's really nice! Today's version looks clean, tidy and a lot more elaborate now. Thanks for the update.

And i just noticed that i can set the difficulty before starting the mission. So if i set the difficulty to bogus and clear all the available objectives, can i get a lot more cool stuff or something?
Nah, the difficulty is just a preference. I don't think I'll tie any rewards to it.

I find "Bogus" to be really easy, but I've played through the project so many times that I'm a terrible judge. I'll see how other people react.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

I sure already beaten the game on bogus difficulty. The projectiles were fast and gave me genuinely average damage. It's just the same but this kind of difficulty is hard enough for all of us, though. Some balance changes for previous difficulties might be cool.
CBM
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by CBM »

Looks like a fun mech game remake
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

I highly approve of the railgun buffs! :D

One thing I noticed is that I couldn't zoom when I started the game until I switched weapon groups.
The sound played, but the screen didn't actually zoom in.
Switching weapon groups once fixed the issue and it didn't happen again in my save file.
Don't think it's a matter of loadouts, because it happened both with my loadout and with default DOG II.
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Jarewill wrote:...
One thing I noticed is that I couldn't zoom when I started the game until I switched weapon groups.
The sound played, but the screen didn't actually zoom in.
Switching weapon groups once fixed the issue and it didn't happen again in my save file.
Don't think it's a matter of loadouts, because it happened both with my loadout and with default DOG II.
Strange. I can't seem to replicate this. Does this happen on a new game?
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

ReformedJoe wrote:Strange. I can't seem to replicate this. Does this happen on a new game?
Yes, it only happens when starting a new game and not switching weapon groups.
Would a video help explain it better?
Spoiler:
This isn't a big issue, because it goes away permanently after switching weapon group once, but I wanted to report it, just in case.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”