Widescreen Friendly Doom Status Bar [GFX Included]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

MG_Man

Widescreen Friendly Doom Status Bar [GFX Included]

Post by MG_Man »

Simple thing to add to zdoom.pk3 or such.

Instead of drawing the border tiles to the left and right of the status bar in widescreen modes, I have modified STBAR to have grey blocks to the left and right.
It works on all ratios of widescreen, both 16:9 and 16:10.

Here's some screenshots.

Before:
Screenshot_Doom_20100529_173239.png
Screenshot_Doom_20100529_173239.png (24.95 KiB) Viewed 6156 times
After:
Screenshot_Doom_20100529_173309.png
Screenshot_Doom_20100529_173309.png (17.72 KiB) Viewed 6156 times
You will also notice it fixes the 1px-HOM (hellow line) bug in some resolutions. This is done by adding an extra line of black under the graphics. (Also why a modified STARMS is included)

Here's the WAD:
WIDESTBAR.wad
(21.63 KiB) Downloaded 1450 times
Gez

Re: Widescreen Friendly Doom Status Bar [GFX Included]

Post by Gez »

Problem: zdoom.pk3 is loaded before the IWAD. So if put in zdoom.pk3, it'd be overridden every time by the graphics in the IWAD.

A different approach could be to make separate graphics to be displayed to the sides (and below, I guess), and tweaking the SBARINFO code to display them. This would have the advantage of being compatible with graphic replacement in PWADs.

However, another issue is that several games with wildly different status bars, graphically speaking, use the same code. Namely Chex Quest and Harmony.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

Personally I don't think these graphics have any place within ZDoom itself any ways, and as a wide screen user myself I actually prefer the border tiles.
Gez

Post by Gez »

This is probably better as a resource to be [wiki=How to autoload files]autoloaded[/wiki] if people want. This way, it actually works in the games it should work, it doesn't affect the games it shouldn't, and if people don't want them they can simply not use them. I'd suggest moving this to the resources forum. :)
MG_Man

Post by MG_Man »

I guess this is better off as a separate preference then. I suppose I could make a thread in Editing or General or Projects or something about it.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”