[No] [GZdoom] Custom Dynamic light textures

Moderator: Developers

[GZdoom] Custom Dynamic light textures

Postby Firewolf » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:21 pm

Plain and simple (I hope). A new line for GLdefs that tells a dynamic light what textures to use.

So, for one specific light, instead of the normal circle texture, it could use something fun like this:
Image

Maybe an extra line that has the name of the texture?

I pray this isn't too big of a request, since being able to define custom textures like the above could prove to have quite a few uses.

Also, the particles changing was an accident.
Last edited by Firewolf on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Firewolf
Strife Peasant; Rocking out since 1996
 
Joined: 28 Jul 2006
Location: Alaska

Re: Custom Dynamic light textures

Postby Ghastly_dragon » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:34 pm

Seconded, but please put a [GZDoom] tag on this, Fire :P.
User avatar
Ghastly_dragon
A rather ghastly dragon
 
Joined: 06 Jul 2007

Re: [GZdoom] Custom Dynamic light textures

Postby Firewolf » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:58 pm

Aw, It got No'd.
Something in Gzdoom that would make a mess or something?
User avatar
Firewolf
Strife Peasant; Rocking out since 1996
 
Joined: 28 Jul 2006
Location: Alaska

Re: [GZdoom] Custom Dynamic light textures

Postby Csonicgo » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:20 pm

I actaully like this idea, what's wrong with it? :[
User avatar
Csonicgo
AAAAAAA
 
Joined: 15 Apr 2004
Location: Leeds

Re: [GZdoom] Custom Dynamic light textures

Postby Agent ME » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:05 am

I think it was moved to the Closed section because GZDoom's own Feature Suggestions Forum would be a better place to post this.
User avatar
Agent ME
Title Not Found
 
Joined: 22 Mar 2004
Location: California, USA

Re: [GZdoom] Custom Dynamic light textures

Postby Firewolf » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:52 pm

Agent ME wrote:I think it was moved to the Closed section because GZDoom's own Feature Suggestions Forum would be a better place to post this.


I'd love to. But I can't seem to register over there.
User avatar
Firewolf
Strife Peasant; Rocking out since 1996
 
Joined: 28 Jul 2006
Location: Alaska

Re: [GZdoom] Custom Dynamic light textures

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:44 am

Don't bother to suggest this again. Due to the way the light textures are handled they must be circular or it will look really strange.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Germany

Re: [GZdoom] Custom Dynamic light textures

Postby Firewolf » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:34 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:Don't bother to suggest this again. Due to the way the light textures are handled they must be circular or it will look really strange.


And if that's what people want to do? Hell, I found it pretty useful for projecting images like logos onto walls and floors without having to use decals or over 9,000 linedefs.
I even played with it a bit and made a monster that would have a creepy 'vine' mass following him around.

If it was No'd because of a coding error, or too much work, that's fine. But because it might "look strange"?

Also, It's only one texture, not two. That was my bad. :oops:
User avatar
Firewolf
Strife Peasant; Rocking out since 1996
 
Joined: 28 Jul 2006
Location: Alaska

Re: [GZdoom] Custom Dynamic light textures

Postby Ghastly_dragon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:24 pm

Firewolf wrote:I found it pretty useful for projecting images like logos onto walls and floors without having to use decals or over 9,000 linedefs.


*Cough* Floor and ceiling decals anyone? In case anyone missed the posibility introduced in the screenshot, this could be a great way of making that floor scorch made by the Doom 3 teleportfog.

And there are plenty of other things in ZDoom that could look much wierder (Anyone tried that "Doomguy on crack" mod?).
User avatar
Ghastly_dragon
A rather ghastly dragon
 
Joined: 06 Jul 2007

Re: [GZdoom] Custom Dynamic light textures

Postby Jimmy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:53 pm

I don't see that if there's only a risk of it looking strange, this isn't worth suggesting again. If there's a risk of it looking too strange (say if the light texture isn't square), couldn't the game default to using the circular one instead? I think what Firewolf has there looks good, if the light is a little misaligned to the floor, but I for one see there being all sorts of possibilities being opened to the modder with this, and honestly can't see it causing too many problems. In all, I think it's a reasonable suggestion if it's already possible, just not customizable.
User avatar
Jimmy
>:D
 
Joined: 10 Apr 2006
Location: Perth, WA

Re: [GZdoom] Custom Dynamic light textures

Postby esselfortium » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:53 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:Due to the way the light textures are handled they must be circular or it will look really strange.

Custom textures can also look really strange if used improperly; I don't see your point...
User avatar
esselfortium
A Birdcage Until Further Notice
 
Joined: 19 Sep 2006

Re: [GZdoom] Custom Dynamic light textures

Postby Firewolf » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:44 am

Don't forget the ability to have cooler power-up indicators. (A pentagram cast around a player with invulnerability would be totally sweet.)
Hell, even a separate texture for things like flares and flashlights.
User avatar
Firewolf
Strife Peasant; Rocking out since 1996
 
Joined: 28 Jul 2006
Location: Alaska

Re: [GZdoom] Custom Dynamic light textures

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:41 am

Listing potential abuses of such a feature sure won't make me consider it- The light texture is only there because I can't (yet) write an universal lighting shader that won't kill performance on anything but the most modern cards. Once I get to that dynamic lights will be done completely differently and all of this would become a major hindrance.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Germany

Re: [GZdoom] Custom Dynamic light textures

Postby Ghastly_dragon » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:21 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:The light texture is only there because I can't (yet) write an universal lighting shader that won't kill performance on anything but the most modern cards. Once I get to that dynamic lights will be done completely differently and all of this would become a major hindrance.


Ah, good enough reason. Still, the abilities this would have given a modder were quite intriguing...

Would dynamic lights be less laggy, after you finish that?
User avatar
Ghastly_dragon
A rather ghastly dragon
 
Joined: 06 Jul 2007

Re: [GZdoom] Custom Dynamic light textures

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:33 pm

Only if you got a modern graphics card. That's the problem and the reason why I haven't done it yet. Shaders are still a major pain in the ass because the drivers force the programmer to do all the work instead of maintaining code variations internally. The result is that instead of one global shader I have to maintain 20 or more different variants already and adding new options will make it increase exponentially. Unfortunately Doom requires so many special effects that the way shaders have to be programmed is not particularly suited for it.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Germany


Return to Closed Feature Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: phantombeta and 2 guests