[MODELDEF] Increase model limit per actor

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Cherno

[MODELDEF] Increase model limit per actor

Post by Cherno »

I wonder if the devs would consider upping (or removing) the number of models that can be defined per MODELDEF entry. The limit is four, which I suppose is enough in most cases, but I am currently working on a project that would benefit a lot from having more models; I plan to have lots of different characters which use the same base model but different accessories and body parts, like hair styles, weapons, goggles, and so on. "Why don't you just combine them into one model?" Because rigging a character model is not a trivial task, so it's much more efficient to rig the base character mesh while the accessories mostly need only one bone that influences them, which is of course a matter of seconds to implement.

So, more models per actor: Possible, impossible, unfeasable, unneeded? :)
Deybar_TECH
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [MODELDEF] Increase model limit per actor

Post by Deybar_TECH »

I do not think so. a while ago I tried
a suggestion of (A_Set3D ++++)
but was immediately rejected.
3D models have huge
limitations and little attention.
that also limits and discourages creation
of this kind of content.
:(

About the characters with accessories,
I use a main object
invisible and controllable,
to which all the animated or
interchangeable pieces chase.
if there is any delay / deviation
It is because the pieces do not have
the same base class.
It is the only solution I found.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Cherno wrote:"Why don't you just combine them into one model?"
No really, why? Merge all, ALL, "accessories" into one model, animate it and then use it with specific texture which would drawn only over specific "trinket" like "weapon_1", "hair_4", "eyes_18", etc. I mean, provide texture only for surfaces you really want to see on this model. But it will increase archive size because of textures, amount of which for such approach will rise up in geometric progression.

Or just create separate actor for each "accessory" and warp it around main model.
Or even split up model on bones/meshes, attach each to actor and then animate them directly in Gzdoom. IIRC I seen someone done this already.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Apeirogon wrote:
Cherno wrote:"Why don't you just combine them into one model?"
No really, why? Merge all, ALL, "accessories" into one model, animate it and then use it with specific texture which would drawn only over specific "trinket" like "weapon_1", "hair_4", "eyes_18", etc. I mean, provide texture only for surfaces you really want to see on this model. But it will increase archive size because of textures, amount of which for such approach will rise up in geometric progression.
How helpful do you really think this post is? Both you and he gave reasons why this is unfeasable and would increase the amount of work, where Cherno gave a very good reason why the idea presented in the suggestion instead would be better.

The features forum isn't here so that you can provide halfway solutions to the problems that are being presented by the thread creator. If it's viable to provide a more robust solution, it's always preferred and it's the reason for the thread.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Unlimited model slots was added some time ago (by Cherno himself, in fact)

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”