Zandronum 2.0 released

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Torr Samaho

Re: Zandronum 2.0 released

Post by Torr Samaho »

Graf Zahl wrote:But the main issue still stands: The backlog is so huge that it will forever be an uphill battle that cannot be won unless you try at least once to actually catch up. Then just regularly adding the new stuff would be a lot easier and less maintenance intensive.
Took me a bit and the current state is likely still very unstable, but I merged Zandronum with GZDoom's head.
Graf Zahl wrote:I think a bit of cooperation so that ZDoom's code could be refactored to be more C/S friendly to start with would have gone a long way to ease maintenance.
Of course now it's too late for that unless you are willing to do another rewrite from scratch...
I think a rewrite from scratch is not necessary, it was just necessary to move Zandronum's current state to the latest ZDoom code base and that is done now. If you are interested, I'd be very happy to discuss how we could make ZDoom more C/S friendly to ease Zandronum's maintenance.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

This is some of the best news I've seen in a while! :D
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

I lived long enough to see Torr posting at zdoom fórum :O
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

About.

Damn.

Time.

I never thought I'd live to see the day when this would happen. I'll need to check this out, later...
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Currently, Zandronum is already going to 3.0 featuring ZDoom 2.7.1 stuff.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

It's already up to date with GZDoom 1.8.6 AFAIK. (That's a bit after ZDoom 2.7.1)
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

I believe after 3.0, all zdoom related content won't be updated either unless asked for specific and useful features and fixes, or zdoom has another official release.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

Dark-Assassin wrote:I believe after 3.0, all zdoom related content won't be updated either unless asked for specific and useful features and fixes, or zdoom has another official release.
I would hope they follow GZDoom releases instead. Graf makes those a lot more often...
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

I don't believe Zandronum would support GZDoom 2+ render wise just yet because of the higher OpenGL requirement. And feature wise, everything seems to be sticking with ZDoom releases with a few backports here and there.
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

I swear Zan's netcode has gotten rather worse compared to Skulltag since it's 97d Versions, Mainly after it hit 98@ a so on, Certain wads started breaking ((Ghoul 3 for instance with the Fire and the Yurei's script)) and my Player movement has been getting jittery with each version...

Plus no offense, But the server list is just... boring. Nothing but Complex Doom. Not even GvH or WDI are played anymore.
Blzut3 wrote:
Clownman wrote:They didn't fix the stupid bug where it deletes what you type in a chat message after hitting enter.
Ticket number? I'm not sure what you're talking about since hitting enter sends the message.
Half the time, I hit enter. ((Mind you this only happens in online as far as I know)) but then it just deletes my text, and I have to re-write it until it actually sends.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

Movement related problems should be fixed in any future versions, as usually any large bug is.
But I've not noticed much of a difference with my Australian ping being a minimum of 200 to Armada, and 350+ to Grandvoid. All feels the same to me.

I've only heard one or two mentions of a bug with Ghoul 3, yet got no idea what happens and why. I just really couldn't be bothered with that TBH, didn't seem really big enough to be a real problem. Maybe I'll peek sometime later anyway.

The servers may be lacking in many and varying decent content and players, but these days the community is able to host what they want these days with host yourself providers such as Best Ever and The Sentinel's Playground. And all that's popular at the moment is what gets hosted and played.

About the messages disappearing, all it is, is UDP packets being dropped or lost in transit. UDP doesn't have sanity checks and handshakes like TCP so things are bound to go missing. Keeps ping lower and reduces bandwidth usage.

(And damn, I seem to be making every 2nd post here so far. I need something better to do :/)

Return to “Off-Topic”