The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Kostov

Re: The New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by Kostov »

So I'm starting to understand how GitHub works.

Someone can create a page out of their source code and allow others to "fork", develop their own take on that source code which may or may not become a part of the main program, or become its own program that roots from the original source code, while the main source code gets updated continuously and the individuals that forked that source code have to stay in sync with it while developing their own content?
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

I don't know how easy it is to merge changes from forks but I'm reaching a point where that one SL project I was doing I'll actually need to fork.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Huh. I thought they were gonna unify the Chocolate-* branches by 2.0? But that's mild compared to:
  • No actual common configuration between games, they all use a split config and have to be set up separately.
  • Not being able to configure non-Doom-specific keys through Chocolate-*-Setup. (They used to work that way...)
  • No keypad key support! Everything just acts like other keys (E.G. KP2 == Down) which is a waste and personally irritating.
  • No vertical mouselook support in any of the games that supports vertical look.
  • If you try to center a 1280x800 window and the border pokes off the screen, CD "fixes" it by dropping the internal resolution. %$#@!
  • Can't even swear that it's using GENMIDI properly... Heretic/Hexen OPL sounds inaccurate to me.
Overall they haven't quite obsoleted the vanilla feature of "irritating to configure and control". :?
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Add improper vertical scaling on fullres (at least on 1920x1080). I just can't play the Chocolate ports because of that.
Gez

Post by Gez »

NeuralStunner wrote:Huh. I thought they were gonna unify the Chocolate-* branches by 2.0?
If you mean Raven branch and Strife branch, they've been merged back, yes.
NeuralStunner wrote:Overall they haven't quite obsoleted the vanilla feature of "irritating to configure and control". :?
Yeah, vanilla-compatible configuration is part of the design goals so there won't be much miracle. There are more bindings possible (notably to allow to port to systems that don't actually have keyboards) but that's about all.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Seeing Engoo's many missteps for retaining vanilla I'm thinking of just doing some chocqlate port myself for minimal cruft.

though I really suck at backends (no SDL), but I do have that know to take things back to 1.01 compatibility and a vision (for regressed things like supporting all those tweaked ModeX video modes), configuring things via startup parameter, representing DOS quake otherwise. I would also need a little code pardon from John Carmack about the old sound spatialization function then as well for this to be more effective.

speaking of chocolate I wish Fabien Sanglard had the right idea. His Choc Wolf3d and Duke ports seem rather misguided
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Gez wrote:Yeah, vanilla-compatible configuration is part of the design goals so there won't be much miracle.
I can appreciate a port that tries to recreate the original experience as closely as possible, but there comes a point where supporting certain features is neither sane nor worth it. :p
0bsidian

Post by 0bsidian »

I am wholly convinced that my sister exhibits every single one of the seven deadly sins. Good fucking grief.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

0bsidian wrote:I am wholly convinced that my sister exhibits every single one of the seven deadly sins. Good fucking grief.
... Continue...
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Unlike my sister, through. she's on gluttony right now.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i think i have a problem.
TheBadHustlex

Post by TheBadHustlex »

When I think how many hours I spent with Doom and it's Mods, and creating them, specificly Regular Day, I think you're alright.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

A little-known feature in ZDoom: The doppler Effect, which is applied to any actor with velocity. For demonstration purposes, the actor in this video has velocity, but is locked to the same position.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

TheBadHustlex wrote:When I think how many hours I spent with Doom and it's Mods, and creating them, specificly Regular Day, I think you're alright.
considering i've only owned the game for little more than a month, though...

edit: i just got word that my video card i RMA'd is not defective and is being sent back to me. damn. what could be the problem with the card then and how would i find it out?
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:Image

i think i have a problem.
Oh?

Return to “Off-Topic”