DUSK - an actually-authentic retro shooter wtf

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: DUSK - an actually-authentic retro shooter wtf

Post by Woolie Wool »

Nash wrote:Normal support is going to be added into GZDoom soon according to Graf Zahl, after which that infrastructure is in place, all that's left is a material system and GZDoom will have properly shaded models and be a viable option for semi-serious indie projects...
Normal maps? Does GZDoom even have Quake-style lightmapping yet?
Eruanna wrote:The source code for all pre-2012 id games is already available and it hasn't hurt them any, so it's not like uploading the source is going to be a huge deal breaker if you're more serious about the game itself than trying to maximize profits off of it.
Considering that, unless we have a communist revolution tomorrow, game development with actual money and full-time talent behind it is driven by entities (businesses) that are obligated to maximize profits...yeah the vast majority of studios would consider GPL unacceptable.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Woolie: No, normal as in, the data that determines the direction a polygon is facing. This data was previously ignored in GZDoom which is why dynamic lights do not properly shade an object in 3D. The SSAO shader currently uses generated (?) normals to correctly shade the level in view-space. If normals are read and utilized from the MD3s, this would mean that dynamic lights should be able to light them correctly and directionally.

Baked lighting (lightmaps) is a completely different thing and is irrelevant to the normal stuff that Graf Zahl was talking about...
Woolie Wool
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11

Post by Woolie Wool »

That makes more sense. I do hope GZDoom gets baked lighting though.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Not sure that it will. Graf seems to be the kind of guy going for optimization and speed. Baked lighting - depending on the complexity and how big the level is, can take upwards of 3-10 minutes. This of course depends if the mapper didn't bake it for you. If it was baked, then it's a quick load. :D
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

In Quake it was pre-baked. There's no reason GZDoom can't accept pre-bakes, as well. It also wouldn't be that hard to mark each wall and light point as "baked" so that GZDoom knows what ones to ignore for walls.

That would help a lot for people looking to detail their maps with point lights, though, since baked lighting is so much faster than dynamic lighting.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Hellser wrote:I think we're being cautious, as we've all seen this old chestnut before.
My point being that there's a lot of "eww" reaction to the trailer alone, as if nobody noticed the part where Xaser actually played it. I'll take the hands-on experience over the knee-jerk reactions, personally.
Hellser wrote:I believe specifically aiming a game at a target generation with catch phrases [...]
Even AAA studios are doing this, though. Remember RAGE? :lol:
Nash wrote:Okay so maybe some people will make a big deal about GPLv3 meaning uploading the source is compulsory; so maybe some people might get turned off by that, but still.
Having to share the compiled source is a very, very minor thing. You're not required to release your data resources, and without those, anyobdy is going to have a hard time recreating your game. With the time and work involved, they could make something new like you did. Win/win?
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

if somebody want to see more indeep

EDIT
Marisa the Magician
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Well I definitely didn't know about the graphics modes. That kinda changes my opinion a bit. I really thought it would be a blurry muddy mess. Still, some things don't even feel very detailed compared to, say, Quake 1. Weapon models, for example. Heck, even the enemies look like they have too low of a polycount.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Looks like one of those things I wait until 3 years after release when it's $5 before I buy it.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

So, like, why should one get this instead of playing a new Doom map?
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

^ joke?
ReX

Post by ReX »

I love the Matrix-like moves, and the overall theme. And, it looks like a lot of fun.

My personal preference, however, veers away from low-resolution graphics & blocky models. I realize this game is deliberately attempting to look like a 1990's shooter, but I think the developers could have cleaned up the models. On the plus side, the game-play looks like it's a blast.
Doom 3 Doesnt Suck

Post by Doom 3 Doesnt Suck »

Finally, a game where I can pretend to be a Hillary Clinton supporter and get rid of the Trump-supporting deplorables. :P

Seriously though, it looks great, and I can't wait to play it.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Doom 3 Doesnt Suck wrote:Finally, a game where I can pretend to be a Hillary Clinton supporter and get rid of the Trump-supporting deplorables. :P
Okay, are you trolling on purpose, or is this just a really badly-advised joke?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Definitely badly advised, because of the "finally" part. we've had one since 1992 :P
Last edited by leileilol on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off-Topic”