ZDoom 2.7.0

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

De-M-oN

Re: ZDoom 2.7.0

Post by De-M-oN »

OPL emulation now includes two new OPL3 emulators, and you can have the equivalent of up to eight chips for one song. In addition, all OPL emulations support full stereo panning (something the real hardware cannot do).
That Java OPL3 is really nice. Thank you for that. :)

Try Java OPL3 with Ultimate Doom E2M7. Was impressive :o

If only Zandronum would have all these features :( I prefer the OpenGL Rendering and in the case of using freelook - the unlimited freelook of OpenGL is far better too..

If ZDoom would have OpenGL Support and all of its graphical features like Zandronum it would be so nice.. (and if you want to stay original you could use the software renderer - like on Zandronum).
Its a bit pity that both ports have these one advantage and the other disadvantage. Zandronum and Zdoom merged together with its features and we would have the one and only best sourceport. Why isnt that possible :(

But: Good job with 2.7.0 :) :)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

De-M-oN wrote: If ZDoom would have OpenGL Support and all of its graphical features like Zandronum it would be so nice..

Have you ever heard of GZDoom...? ;)
De-M-oN

Post by De-M-oN »

Much better. Thank you :)

But my Statusbar PK3 and zd-dhtp-20100114.pk3 dont work with ZDoom/GZDoom. Why is that?

At Skulltag/Zandronum they work.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

No idea. The texture pack should be ok, how are you trying to load it? Skulltag/Zandronum seem to consider the skins directory a common place for autoloading. ZDoom does not. You have to declare autoloaded files in the .ini instead.
De-M-oN

Post by De-M-oN »

I've created a skins folder in gzdoom, because without it, it didnt load any extra files, now its just the statusbar and the texturepack which doesnt load.

But ok, then I try the ini for that now.

Works now. Thanks :)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

ZDoom only loads WADs from skins, not PK3's - and I'd even block that if I could for anything that's not a skin. That's because it's not a proper way to autoload stuff, the directory is called 'skins' after all because it's all loaded for all games that are supported and can cause massive problems (try to use Hacx 1.2 or Chex Quest as IWAS with the texture pack in a generic autoload location.)

That's why ZDoom's preferred way to autoload is the INI sections because there you can selectively set different stuff for different IWADs.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

An autoload folder of some sort is, however, a useful feature that can be found (in one form or another in many games). It is very easy and convenient for an end user to be able to place things into an autoload folder.

Whilst I agree that the skins folder should not be used for things other than its intended purpose and that it isn't really suited for use as an autloload folder and I know that it would mean some duplication of function but would there be any value in a properly implemented autoload folder system? I know that, unlike most game engines, ZDoom supports a number of games but that could easily be solved with a directory hierarchy. Perhaps even new subdirectories could be specified in gameinfo for mods.
Gez

Post by Gez »

An [wiki]autoload[/wiki] folder would have to be hierarchised like the ini thing is. Supposing you have ZDoom in a ZDoom directory, that'd get you something like this:
ZDoom\Autoload
ZDoom\Autoload\Chex
ZDoom\Autoload\Chex\Chex1
ZDoom\Autoload\Chex\Chex3
ZDoom\Autoload\Doom
ZDoom\Autoload\Doom\Doom1
ZDoom\Autoload\Doom\Doom2
ZDoom\Autoload\Doom\Doom2BFG
ZDoom\Autoload\Doom\Freedoom
ZDoom\Autoload\Doom\Freedoom1
ZDoom\Autoload\Doom\FreeDM
ZDoom\Autoload\Doom\TNT
ZDoom\Autoload\Doom\Plutonia
ZDoom\Autoload\Harmony
ZDoom\Autoload\Heretic
ZDoom\Autoload\Hexen
ZDoom\Autoload\Hexen\HexenDK
ZDoom\Autoload\Strife
ZDoom\Autoload\UrbanBrawl
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

Graf Zahl wrote:...Stuff about Zandronum skin directory abuse...
For the record, abusing the skins directory isn't recommend on Zandronum any more than recommended here. The reason we load pk3s from there as well is because skins can be packaged in PK3s due to Zandronum's looser skin packaging rules.

I do agree that the skins directory should only load files that are indeed skins. If it actually filters the lumps loaded in the WADs it could also be used to allow the "no other data in skin WADs" restriction to be lifted I think.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Gez wrote:Supposing you have ZDoom in a ZDoom directory, that'd get you something like this:
ZDoom\Autoload
[snip]
Yes, that's precisely the kind of arrangement that I had in mind.
Galaxy_Stranger

Post by Galaxy_Stranger »

MAKE LOVE TO ME, RANDY!
Olroda

Post by Olroda »

This is good news! Well done, and thank you!
Isaacjedi5

Post by Isaacjedi5 »

5760×3600
:shock:
EDIT: I can't get this resolution to work. It still only goes up to the highest from before.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Does your video card actually support that resolution?
X-DOOM

Post by X-DOOM »

Many and most video card have limited resolution range. And also your monitor does too.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”