ZDoom 2.5.0

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Zippy

Re: ZDoom 2.5.0

Post by Zippy »

ReX wrote:In that case I have a further request: Would someone list out the obvious (and no-so-obvious) applications for this new behavior (Scuba already mentioned a turnstile) plus its limitations?
Short, short version: unrestricted moving walls (the bolded word is key!)
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Think of the TcA hitlercube: in the first bit of the battle it moved through a maze. In older versions it would almost never render 100% right, but with the new polys it renders right 100% of the time. While this example is dealing with a jokewad, it is a pretty good demonstration.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

One example that immediately came to mind is a room with details with Death Star garbage disposal-like crushing walls.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

I got the universal Mac build up (also includes the changes from r2515, but that's just CMake changes). Randy, any chance you might want to put the Mac binary on zdoom.org?
CodeImp

Post by CodeImp »

Nice release, good stuff!
Nash

Post by Nash »

Now I can make swinging doors easily without having to worry about enclosing them in a square sector. Makes building those "realistic" maps much easier!
ReX

Post by ReX »

randy wrote:One example that immediately came to mind is a room with details with Death Star garbage disposal-like crushing walls.
However, the only moving parts will be the walls (which in the movie were mostly flat, vertical constructs). How would all of the garbage be accounted for (aside from using models, say, in GZDooM) without making them "walls" too?

Also, in this thread there were two references made that I'm hoping someone can clarify for me:
The Ultimate DooMer wrote:2-sided polyobjects already exist, you just can't jump on them while they're moving (or you get thrown off :p)

Great for doors on finitely-tall-3D-floor buildings though.
I thought polyobjects could only consist of 1-sided linedefs.
zuzma wrote:Oh hay guiz

Damn 3D floors in software look awesome! :D
Is the use of 3D floors connected with the new polyobject behavior, or was that just a random post?
Herculine

Post by Herculine »

Uber thanks for the new version, and retro uber thanks for all the work that has been done. This is the sourceport solely responsible for allowing me to continue playing and enjoying a wide variety of Doom and Hexen WADs on my new computer and I can't imagine having to live without it. THANK YOU!
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

ReX wrote: Is the use of 3D floors connected with the new polyobject behavior, or was that just a random post?
It's just random. Software 3D floors are part of a separate branch right now.
RaVeN-05

Post by RaVeN-05 »

Thanx for your great work ^.^ yahoo
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Blzut3 wrote:I got the universal Mac build up (also includes the changes from r2515, but that's just CMake changes). Randy, any chance you might want to put the Mac binary on zdoom.org?
I think there's been an error, then. I downloaded zdoom-2.5.0.dmg, and getting ZDoom's info reveals it as version 2.4.1, created on January 25, 2010. Running it, I get an IWAD picker with a title bar identifying it as revision 2448M. It also crashes when I try to start a level. Can you rebuild it (and perhaps tell me how you make the universal binaries)?
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

The problem was only in the PPC binary since DISABLE_SSE wasn't defined. I added the following line to the CMake to get it to compile right, but I'll leave it up to you if this is an acceptable solution:

Code: Select all

if( CMAKE_SYSTEM_PROCESSOR MATCHES powerpc OR CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES MATCHES ppc )
	set( X86_SOURCES )
	set( NOT_X86 ON )
	add_definitions(-DDISABLE_SSE) # This line was added
else( CMAKE_SYSTEM_PROCESSOR MATCHES powerpc OR CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES MATCHES ppc )
	set( X86_SOURCES nodebuild_classify_sse2.cpp )
endif( CMAKE_SYSTEM_PROCESSOR MATCHES powerpc OR CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES MATCHES ppc )
In any case try redownloading the dmg.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

The file version information still says 2.4.1. Also, about the crashing, I guess that's just Hexen (and probably anything else that uses ACS). Since I'm on the Mac right now, I'll see if I can fix it.
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

randy wrote:The file version information still says 2.4.1.
Check to make sure you're downloading the new file. It should have an md5 sum of c7fa8e507210ccb012732b60ab955c6d. I've checked my ppc binary and it shows 2.5.0 as well though I certainly won't rule out a problem when I merged the binaries.

Edit: Indeed only hexen crashes and it only crashes under ppc.
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

I saw this posting and tears of joy flooded from my eyes

Well, almost :D

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”