Fps cap?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Mike.Reiner

Fps cap?

Post by Mike.Reiner »

Sup, one of the VERY FEW things that tends to bother me in zdoom is the frame rate, now you may think im nuts (which i may be) but I was wondering if there is anyway to cap the fps to whatever you want, The reason i always play zdaemon over skulltag or zdoom is because i like the 35 fps. with all the death match i did in doom2.exe and legacy, 35 fps is my comfort zone, but when ive got fps blazed up at 350, or vsynced at 60, it really bothers me, and i play really badly...
is there any console command to cap the fps?.......
LK873

Post by LK873 »

cl_capfps 1 I believe
Mike.Reiner

Post by Mike.Reiner »

Sir, you are my hero :)
GeeDougg
Location: VanCity, British Colonies, Isolated Republic Of Canuckistan

Post by GeeDougg »

Hmm, a guy I've never heared of gets helped by a guy I never knew existed.... Weird.

Anyways what is it with people wanting to cap the fram-rate in ZDooM? Doesn't anyone like the buttery-smooth fram-rate performance? How could you like it capped? I don't get it....
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Me neither.

Ever since ZDoom uncapped the frame rate I have serious difficulties playing with source ports that can't do it. I haven't player Nimrod for over a year but it's so awfully choppy...
Enjay

Re: Fps cap?

Post by Enjay »

Mike.Reiner wrote:...now you may think im nuts...
:yup:

J/K
LK873

Post by LK873 »

geedougg wrote:Hmm, a guy I've never heared of gets helped by a guy I never knew existed.... Weird.
I'm around quite a bit actually, I just don't post a lot.

I can't play with an FPS less then 60 ever since I started using ZDooM. 35 FPS would feel like a slideshow to me if I had to go back to it. :D
Macil
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Macil »

So that's why Legacy hurts my eyes. The low frame rate! I LOVE ZDOOM, especially with its uncapped frame rate which doesnt hurt my eyes.
Mike.Reiner

Post by Mike.Reiner »

lol, yes i understand how many of you would be confused by this, but eh, its just the way i play, the silky smoothe fps doesnt really drive me nuts, it just doesnt feel like doom, in skulltag, my dm skills dramatically drop because of my being used to 35 fps straight.
thats the big reason i avoided skulltag and stuck with zdaemon all that time.
but ah well, il contintue to play all the ports with this option, cause that way I play and enjoy doom.
Thanks for the help! 8-)
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Just to note, you can't cap it at anything you want. You can only cap it either at 35FPS, or your monitor's refresh (probably somewhere between 60 or 120). Although I kinda wish ZDoom would allow arbitrary caps. All you have to do is use triple buffering (if you don't want screen tearing) and create a delay between tics. Oh well. Can't say I'm terribly bothered by it.
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

Mike.Reiner wrote:lol, yes i understand how many of you would be confused by this, but eh, its just the way i play, the silky smoothe fps doesnt really drive me nuts, it just doesnt feel like doom, in skulltag, my dm skills dramatically drop because of my being used to 35 fps straight.
thats the big reason i avoided skulltag and stuck with zdaemon all that time.
but ah well, il contintue to play all the ports with this option, cause that way I play and enjoy doom.
Thanks for the help! 8-)
it also saves cpu power correct? :wink:

I also use the cap.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

it also saves cpu power correct?
Probably not, actually. It probably busy-loops when waiting for the next frame which means CPU usage doesn't drop.
Mike.Reiner

Post by Mike.Reiner »

actually.... i decided to test that when you guys brought that up, with zdoom windowed, and the task manager in view, with the fps uncapped all the way, my cpu usage is a solid 100%, but when i cap it at 35 fps, its all the way down at 22%, so yes, it does save cpu power. but thats the actual total with all my other junk running, zdoom alone only used about 16%, :wink:
GeeDougg
Location: VanCity, British Colonies, Isolated Republic Of Canuckistan

Post by GeeDougg »

LK873: Heh yeah sorry I used to be like that myself. I meant no offence I just thought it's CIoN version 2.0 (you may or may not know what I'm talking about...).

Anyways I think the frame-rate in Legacy (being as it is with the fluctuation an' all) could be capped at 35FPS but it would still be fine if it wasn't so damn buggy. It lags like crazy. Trust me, 35FPS is still quite smooth; Legacy's problem lies in that it will cap it at a maximum of 35 and operate anywhere between 0 and 35 randomly from one second to the next. It fluctuates between 12 and 28 in a strange and annoying fashion and it hurts my eyes. If it WAS always 35FPS (more-or-less in a solid and stable fashion) I don't think anyone would have much to complain about.
Mike.Reiner

Post by Mike.Reiner »

hrmm, i never seen to have any fps probs in legacy, it tends to be a solid 35 all the time.

Return to “General”