Unlocked 35 FPS

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
BBG

Unlocked 35 FPS

Post by BBG »

Randy, will there be a way to lock ZDoom at 35 fps in 48.cab? If not, could you please add one. It moves too fast for me and am quite comfortable with 35 FPS.
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

If I become a moderator it is this type of trolling that will not be allowed. :-D
pritch

Post by pritch »

I kind of agree. Sarge and I both feel the uncapped fps takes a lot of the Doomy feel away from it. It's cool, and in certain modern wads appropriate, but it definitely should be switchable.

Of course Nanami thinks we're just moaning heh.
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

yes, i definitely do not like it. it honestly makes the game feel more like quake2 than doom. it looks nice and smooth and everything, but doom doesn't. i suppose it looks all right in something like dark7, with fancy new music and slopes galore, but in any vanilla wad it trashes all nostalgic feelings flat. so yeah, i'd like some way to disable it.
Nanami

Post by Nanami »

120+ FPS rules. =P
Thrasher

Post by Thrasher »

I believe adding a switch will be good, just so the player can choose which mode he wants to use. or he can custom adjust it between 35 FPS and the max amount.
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

Thrasher wrote:I believe adding a switch will be good, just so the player can choose which mode he wants to use. or he can custom adjust it between 35 FPS and the max amount.
yeah, a value like 40 might work good for me. playing on 1280x1024 i get 60-70, and even that feels ridiculously odd.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

CL_CAPFPS 1

Though after getting used to an uncapped frame rate, it'll look like a slide show. :)
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

Enjay wrote:CL_CAPFPS 1

Though after getting used to an uncapped frame rate, it'll look like a slide show. :)
exactly why i don't want to get used to it :)

although i think it would be nice if we could cap the fps wherever we feel like, rather than going all or none.
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

he just told you how to cap the fps... pay attention!
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

heh, no you should pay attention. that's only a way to set the fps cap on or off. i was asking for a way to set the cap to whatever variable you want.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

The cap is either 35 FPS or none at all. Supporting variable caps and actually relinquishing the processor during the unneeded time between frames would require quite a bit of work because network play is highly dependant on the 35 Hz tic rate. Interrupting the renderer to do network processing is easy, but interrupting a wait to do network processing would probably require moving the renderer into a separate thread (or at least a rethinking of the way Doom does things). There is a vid_vsync cvar you can use to cap the framerate to the refresh rate, but for the reasons I specified above, I'm not sure how well it would work with netplay.
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

ok, i wasn't sure about the viability of that either. thanks for the explanation though. 35 fps works for me.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

I imagine something like a limitless framerate makes it a lot more obvious when an especially active level is slowing the game down. Some people might consider that an accomplishment, though. No, I don't have a point.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

randy wrote:The cap is either 35 FPS or none at all. Supporting variable caps and actually relinquishing the processor during the unneeded time between frames would require quite a bit of work because network play is highly dependant on the 35 Hz tic rate. Interrupting the renderer to do network processing is easy, but interrupting a wait to do network processing would probably require moving the renderer into a separate thread (or at least a rethinking of the way Doom does things). There is a vid_vsync cvar you can use to cap the framerate to the refresh rate, but for the reasons I specified above, I'm not sure how well it would work with netplay.
Well, threading is supported on the used OSes (win32,linux); I think there will be no more DOS version like 1.17. Recently, I tried something with GL-117 (http://gl-117.sf.net/), 320x200 lowest quality and it brought me 200fps, which was really too smooth for me -- just a side note.
Cube might be a reference, it runs with a variable FPS (though the user cannot choose) and has to do both rendering+networking.

Return to “General”